1951 Dodge Dim Rear Turn Signals

Fleetwood Meadow

My ‘51 Dodge Meadowbrook has very dim rear turn signals when the tail lights are on. They are almost unrecognizable. Were these directionals dim from the factory or were they clear and recognizable like today’s turn signals? When the taillights are not on you can see the turn signal clearly but when the taillights are on the turn signal doesn’t make a bright enough light for the signal to be obvious. Unless you are really focusing on it it doesn’t even look like it is on. I know that some people are suggesting LEDs and I’m not sure which to go with since this is a positive ground system. Any suggestions on the current dim situation would be appreciated. Any ideas on the correct LED bulb I would need is helpful too. 

Modern double filament bulbs are oriented in the socket and can only be installed one way.Some of the six volt double filament bulbs can be installed either way. Maybe the brighter of the two filaments is wrongly attached to the running light rather than the turn signal. The sockets could also be hooked up wrong.  Checking for bad grounds and dirty connections is a really good idea. Also check that the generator is putting out properly.

Edited by misterc9 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...

Being unable to make the lights any brighter than they were, which probably was right for that car, I converted them to led. I picked a bulb that was about the same brightness for both dim and bright filaments. The led is very distinct on the bright light. You can tell I’m hitting the brake and when the directional is on. And the bonus is that it barely draws on the battery. Since I bought the taillights I bought the front directionals and the flasher. They work beautifully now. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2020 at 5:35 PM, Fleetwood Meadow said:

My ‘51 Dodge Meadowbrook has very dim rear turn signals when the tail lights are on. They are almost unrecognizable. Were these directionals dim from the factory or were they clear and recognizable like today’s turn signals? When the taillights are not on you can see the turn signal clearly but when the taillights are on the turn signal doesn’t make a bright enough light for the signal to be obvious. Unless you are really focusing on it it doesn’t even look like it is on. I know that some people are suggesting LEDs and I’m not sure which to go with since this is a positive ground system. Any suggestions on the current dim situation would be appreciated. Any ideas on the correct LED bulb I would need is helpful too. 

Similiar issue with my 49 Windsor. There is a aluminum foil type tape on the market. Clean the reflector behind the bulb & line the area with this tape. It dose not support flame & any heat generated does not seem to effect the adhesion qualities BUT, it will conduct so keep it away from elcectrical contact. My parking/turn signals look like headlights!  We own a laundromat & I wrap the dryer vent pipe connections with this stuf, & they get hot. 

The aluminum foil tape is a kind of duct tape but not the cloth type. White or silver paint will work almost as well.

Could the bulbs be wired backwards? There are 2 filaments, one is brighter than the other, the brighter one is for brake lights and turn signals. 51 Dodge may not have come with turn signals they were probably added later and they might not have gotten the connections right.

Bad ground will also cause weak lights.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)