1934 Packard 12 question

Restorer32

You are right, installing those covers is a "process".  We just glued one up this morning.  I counted 25 clamps.  Covers cost $1400 so you don't want to screw it up.  The ones on the car were new in the '90s but they were cracked up and missing chunks. 

On 6/29/2020 at 12:54 PM, Restorer32 said:

My current ( no pun intended) theory is that when the shop sent the armature out for rewinding it was rewound as if it were 12 volt. 

A very common issue and you would think someone would have matched it at some point and this would never have happened, but .... (albeit the number one problem I would still say is grounding - I saw a 1929 Packard yesterday and they expect it to ground through a polished stainless bolt via their meticulously painted frame (and I opened my mouth to be quickly told they knew what they were doing). 

Definitely not a grounding problem.  Even with short 20" cables going directly from a 1000 amp hr battery to the starter it cranks the same.  Starter is back at the rebuilder's for another look.  I am still surprised that a Standard 8 '34 starter spun it over just fine.

I'm sure you've checked, but you don't have too much oil in the crankcase do you?  Like you drained the old oil and added fresh and another mechanic, unaware oil had been added, puts another gallon or more in it?