32 plymouth pb rear window install ??

dangerz

hello all, I'm installing the glass in my 32 plymouth pb coupe  I believe the rear window originally rolled up-and-down but that's not possible now because there's no Room underneath , not sure how to put it in,  use urethane and glue it in or how does it install without breaking being up against the metal window opening. How did a fixed window install originally , thanks in advance 

• Like 1

On Fisher bodied GM's there was a U  shaped rubber seal that went around the glass.  The glass with the seal was installed from the inside and a upholstered piece of wood was on the inside nailed to the wood frame.  I suspect your application would be similar.

53 minutes ago, dangerz said:

hello all, I'm installing the glass in my 32 plymouth pb coupe  I believe the rear window originally rolled up-and-down but that's not possible now because there's no Room underneath , not sure how to put it in,  use urethane and glue it in or how does it install without breaking being up against the metal window opening. How did a fixed window install originally , thanks in advance 

Is the glass larger than the opening? If it is, you will have to have it cut down in order to install it with a weatherstripping seal. Or I suppose you could mount the glass flush on the inside of the body with waterproof putty and some type of brackets to hold it in place.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, keiser31 said:

Is the glass larger than the opening? If it is, you will have to have it cut down in order to install it with a weatherstripping seal.

If installing the way @Tinindian says, the glass should be slightly larger than the opening because the glass is sandwiched between the body and the upholstered wood trim.

The U shaped weatherstrip goes around the outside of the glass with the seam at the bottom, the glass is held against the body and then the wood trim is placed from the inside to hold everything in place.

3 minutes ago, zepher said:

If installing the way @Tinindian says, the glass should be slightly larger than the opening because the glass is sandwiched between the body and the upholstered wood trim.

The U shaped weatherstrip goes around the outside of the glass with the seam at the bottom, the glass is held against the body and then the wood trim is placed from the inside to hold everything in place.

Unless the original window track and brackets are still in there.

1 hour ago, dangerz said:

Got a photo of the inner body situation that you are dealing with?

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The glass is about 3/8ths of an inch lager than the opening.  So if I'm understanding the way gm installed the rubber goes around the edges and then a wood frame holds it in place, what would hold the window in place if i were to cut down ? Does someone make rubber that i could put around the window 

6 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Unless the original window track and brackets are still in there.

He did mention in his original post that the window would not be able to go down due to space limitations so I figured he also did not have any of the hardware, just the glass.

Some pics would clear all this up so we wouldn't have to guesstimate what he has.  🙂

• Like 1

The tabs on your frame indicate to me that the glass would be wrapped in weatherstrip and then place within the tabs and held in place as Tinindian posted.

Is this a restomod?
If so, then you won't be overly concerned with being 100% stock in appearance or application.

How about some more pics?

We love pics around here.  😁

1 hour ago, dangerz said:

I forgot to ask....is it a rumble seat car? The reason I ask is that the business coupe or trunk model would not have had a roll down rear window. Only the rumble seat cars had that feature.

10 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I forgot to ask....is it a rumble seat car? The reason I ask is that the business coupe or trunk model would not have had a roll down rear window. Only the rumble seat cars had that feature.

Yes it was a rumble seat car. I didn't get many parts with the car when I bought it I started with empty body no feders or running boards,  it was missing the rumble lid and the panel below it . I made those as close as I thought they should look.

20200605_183854.jpg

15924374817468947287019388661099.jpg

Steele rubber would sell the weather strip. How you want to install it is the following. Stretch the U channel rubber around the window and put it tight so there is no buckling of the gasket as it goes around the glass. Mark the ends perfectly square While stretching it,  then remove it from the glass, cut the ends with a sharp razor blade, then super glue the two ends together. Once the glue is dry, Center the seam at the bottom of the glass then work it on the glass all the way around until it’s completely on the glass. Run masking tape all around the outside edge of the opening to protect your paint. Put a bead of windshield urethane all around the inside of the opening and press the window into place. You should have already prepared a way to apply pressure on the glass that will hold it in place overnight. I use two strips of hardwood fastened across the inside of the opening and then hardwood wedges that I slide between the strips and the window once it’s been put in place. A second set of hands helps here! The urethane is messy so have lots of paper towels and something like Prepsol around for cleanup. Remove the masking tape right after the window is in place so the urethane doesn’t glue it to the window by accident. I personally think 3/8” glass is too thick and normally rear windows are 1/4” safety glass. The 3/8” thickness might cause issues with your interior panels. The urethane will seal the window from water penetration and will hold it in place without any mechanical fasteners. I install a lot of windows using this process and have never had a window leak or come out. 

Thanks for your reply,  how tall of U channel, will the rubber show from the outside,, I am using 1/4" glass, how much time do I have with the window urathane before I can't clean it off the glass or do I leave it and wait till it cures and remove it with a razor blade again thanks for your help

On 6/20/2020 at 12:19 AM, dangerz said:

Screenshot_20200619-231740_Chrome.jpg

This would be the better one because the sides are flat. You might have some of it show around the window. It all depends on the size of the glass in regards to the opening. You shouldn't get much on the glass but will want to wipe as much of it off as you can right after you put it in place. You want to use enough to bed the window some but not so much that it squeezes out everywhere. If there is any on the glass it will clean off the glass when cured with a razor blade but it won't be easy to remove it from paint or other surfaces. Once you wipe the opening down good remove the tape from around it then just let any on the glass you didn't get off, dry, then clean with a razor.

Here is a picture of a 31' chevy 5 passenger coupe rear window install. The wood you see are the strips with two wedges under each strip edge, close to the glass edge to hold it into the opening securely while the urethane dries. The weatherstrip for a chevy actually has a lip that overhangs the edge of the opening slightly so there is some rubber showing. This picture was taken from the outside of course after the tape was removed. It stays with the wedges at least overnight to set up. Longer is better.

IMG_0478.jpg

Edited by chistech (see edit history)