National Winners

DizzyDale

Anybody out there have any good stories about any un-deserving national winners.I mean a car that really slipped through some large cracks and still won an award.I know this topic is politically incorrect but i thought it might raise some interesting thoughts.No names please.diz blush.gifblush.gif

Most cars that won at Lake Placid, New York years ago are suspect. It rained so hard most cars were not looked at correctly. I also know of a few cars that got KILLED by a newbie chassis judge, years later at a National Meet. The team captain should have slaped him and told him to go home. The Deputy should have done the same to the team captain for letting it happen. IMHO

Many, and I do mean <span style="font-weight: bold">MANY</span> years ago at a rainy meet at Hershey there were two cars parked close to each other in a class. They were both the same year, make, model and color. One was beautiful and the other should have been a Do Not Judge. Well, the good car got nothing and the sad one won the 1st Junior.

What we believed happened was that the team gathered up all of the judging sheets when they first got to the class to keep them from getting soaked. In those days everyone just stuck them under the windshield wipers. Then as the team reached each car they would pull out its sheet, score the car and put the sheet back in the dry place.

It wasn't until the awards banquet that people realized that something had gone wrong. The wrong car won! What likely happened was that the sheets were reversed between the two cars and each car was scored on the other's sheet.

Nothing sinister here, just an old fashioned innocent screw up. Remember, the two cars were the same except for condition and after the Meet was over there was no way to know for certain what had happened or to change the order of finish.

hvs

Hi, Diz...not too many respondees to "National", so I hope you don't mind. I can relate the "Ugliest Non-AACA" car show I ever attended:

The Lions Club (name/town irrelevant), between Reading and Hershey, had their annual car show.

It was my first time, so, I entered in the Foreign Car Class. Was directed to the class and parked. After about 30 minutes, a gent with an MG next to me said I was in the wrong class as my car must be 20 years old. At the time, it was 18 years old.

An official came over and asked me to park in the "Special Interest" class. No problem, I thought, and, moved the car. I was in with a drag car, modified trucks, even a stationwagon that was very ratty looking.

Judging started. The judges were 3 teenagers. Did not give it any thought at the time.

When they announced the awards, WOW!! The Stationwagon, an everyday pickup that had a little pinstriping on it, and, a decent looking Camaro, won the 3 trophies offered in the class. The gent with the drag car went ballistic at the awards ceremony. He was yelling at the top of his lungs that the "judges" did not look at any of the 30+ cars in the class. They simply gave 1st, 2nd, and, 3rd to the aforementioned in decending order of how they were parked.

The Lions Club official started yelling "You want a trophy, here, take one", and, literally threw 2-3 out at the drag car owner. The owner yelled back "I want to earn a trophy, etc."

Needless to say, that was the last time this show was held after a 14 year stand.