1956 Cadillac 62 Sedan de Ville, A/C - $22,000 - Not Mine

1956 Cadillac 62 Sedan de Ville, A/C - $22,000 - Not Mine

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/east-randolph-1956-cadillac/7137250905.html

1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille Series 62.  We brought this vehicle back from Arizona in 2003, and we had it restored in 2005. We drive it just enough to keep things moving, and it's been fun to use around town, or ride in a parade or enter in a car show.  All of the chrome plating was redone and body and paint are in great shape. Runs well and needs nothing.

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1956 Cadillac 62 Sedan de Ville.

'56 Cadillac 62 Sedan de Ville AC CL NY a.jpg

'56 Cadillac 62 Sedan de Ville AC CL NY b.jpg

'56 Cadillac 62 Sedan de Ville AC CL NY c.jpg

'56 Cadillac 62 Sedan de Ville AC CL NY d.jpg

'56 Cadillac 62 Sedan de Ville AC CL NY e.jpg

'56 Cadillac 62 Sedan de Ville AC CL NY f.jpg

• Like 4

There is nothing in the ad that says it has A/C and I don't see any vents in the dash but I wouldn't want an original A/C system in a car that old anyway because it rarely works well and probably reduces the gas mileage down to 6-7 mpg. It's a beauty though and at a reasonable price too. Thanks for posting it....

A Cadillac 4-door hardtop from this year is actually 

very uncommon on the market, since people restore

the more "glamorous" convertibles and 2-door hardtops.

Sometimes cars that were once much more common

become rare, while the once-rare cars are saved and restored

and become almost common.

Thank you for sharing this ad, Mr. 58L.

• Like 1

The A/C is probably still mostly in the trunk and feeds ducts in the headliner, although I don't see the plexiglas tubes that feed it from the package shelf (were they still built that way in '56? I don't know). The little scoops at the base of the roof on the rear quarters suggest A/C, too. Unfortunately, there are no engine photos to determine whether there's a compressor in there.

I'm almost interested enough in this car to find out for myself...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I'm almost interested enough in this car to find out for myself...

Remember, Matt, it's green!

We've had discussions on our forum about green being

unpopular, and I must say that, while I like the car, the 

shade would be well down the list if I were ordering it new.

Mentally, I was thinking what other 1956 combinations

would look good on this car--a fun mental exercise while

looking at www.autocolorlibrary.com--but the green interior

limits the options for repainting.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

11 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

A Cadillac 4-door hardtop from this year is actually 

very uncommon on the market, since people restore

the more "glamorous" convertibles and 2-door hardtops.

Sometimes cars that were once much more common

become rare, while the once-rare cars are saved and restored

and become almost common.

Thank you for sharing this ad, Mr. 58L.

You're welcome, a carnation pink with white top and white leather interior, air conditioned '56 Sedan de Ville haunts my memory as a car I saw in a junkyard forty-five years ago.

Four door hardtops were among the highest production models through the 1960's but attend a show now and one would think they were always rarely seen.

Funny I opened post and thought what a great color for this car.  I like the yellows on these vintage Caddys a lot as well.  My ideal combo, while I like this one, might be yellow with a green top and green interior.  I have only heard green is tough in the last year or two on this forum.  Those in the know like John and Matt speak from experience, which I get, so maybe I will get a smokin deal on a green car one of these days.  For this one, 4 door hardtop would be fine. 

I have a bigger issue with non original or non period color choices.

• 11 months later...

Hey.  This is my car!  Her name is Mrs. Rosenthal. I bought her from the guy, John, who posted the ad last year.   I had hunted for one of these for a few years.   Someone in the Cadillac & LaSalle Club sent me the link to this ad.  Due to Covid I was unable to go from California to check the car out personally.  John and I, however, were able to talk a lot, email and do some "Facetime".  We came to an agreement and for a year Mrs. Rosenthal has been happy living her senior years in Southern Ca.

The A/C is, in fact, all present but not working.  Someone had stuffed the below-dash controls/wires behing the passenger kick panel.  I will get it working or maybe Classic Air/Vintage Air; haven't made up my mind. 

She did need some little stuff: I rebuilt the carb and power steering pump.   The front seat power assembly was sticky and needed some love.  A few windows were unsure of themselves and needed cleaning/lubricating/adjustment/elec. care--the usual.  The front fender "Sedan de Ville" scripts were missing. I replaced them.  I replaced the antique shocks.   All that kind of stuff.

All in all, she's a nice, clean, reliable car.  The ad said, "Needs Nothing". Well, that was a half-truth.  She goes out multiple times a week.  And the green color gets lots of positive comments.

By the way-she has an almost-twin in Europe-without a/c-I'll attach photo.

--Yogi

84368863_606be2993f_o.jpg

• Like 4

Great update Yogi.  A year later, still admiring the colors on this sharp Caddy (wanna swap for a near new Cadillac ATS w 30,000 miles? 😁)

Only comment, NO old car "needs nothing" but it sounds like you had right attitude on that going in and are enjoying the car, congrats!!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)