A hearse, but who bult it and on what chassis?

nzcarnerd

A photo from 1939.

I don't recognise the logo on the hubcaps.

I think the body style suggests it dates from 1933-34 but I think the chassis is pre 1930 by the 'exposed nuts' wheels.

The style of the rear end suggests Miller but I guess any small town coachbuilder could have built it?

art deco era hearse.jpg

art deco era hearse (2).jpg

art deco era hearse (3).jpg

The closest matches for the body I can find in American Funeral Cars & Ambulances Since 1900 by Thomas A. McPherson are 1933-'34 S & S or Knightstown.  Chassis definitely appears to be 1930 or prior.  Wire wheels may have been a latter installation, do not appear to have been the choice for professional cars, either artillery or disk appear on almost all.

22 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The closest matches for the body I can find in American Funeral Cars & Ambulances Since 1900 by Thomas A. McPherson are 1933-'34 S & S or Knightstown.  Chassis definitely appears to be 1930 or prior.  Wire wheels may have been a latter installation, do not appear to have been the choice for professional cars, either artillery or disk appear on almost all.

Any thoughts on the chassis?

Chrome hood doors - maybe GM?

23 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Or maybe an amalgam of bits?

I doubt it a bitsa.  A body like that was no doubt quite expensive when new and probably mounted on the commercial chassis version of a high quality car.  I have noticed a few of the commercial chassis Cadillac's have heavier duty 

axles and wheels than what came on the regular automotive version of the  production chassis.  Those heavy duty axle and wheel assembly's were probably a large part of the commercial chassis option. They are nearly small truck 

duty but generally seem car based in appearance, just an unusually heavy construction.

Greg in Canada

11 hours ago, Leif Holmberg said:

How about Lincoln 1932-1933.The hub caps are close?

ebay224758.jpg

Maybe that explains the hubcap logo.

I note also the hood on the hearse is relatively short. A V8 engine is a likely possibility.

I suspect our mystery car chassis is earlier than 1932 though.

• Like 1