Delco coils

Jim

In another post there was some discussion about using the Delco later coils and module.

A fellow wanted just the Delco module and the plate under the module and I emailed back.

I then tested one unit I had on the shelf and found I had one bad coil. I went to the local junk yard and picked up a coil and another complete module, coils and mounting plate.

Got it home and found it was NG. 

About this time Barney and I were talking on the phone and he mentioned he wondered what year Delco units would work so I looked on line and found all the way up to 2005.

With this info I went back to the junk yard and proceeded to remove a unit from a '99. Part way into the removal I discovered the coils and module were the same BUT they did not have the mounting place underneath but the bolts going through the coils and module went directly into the large mounting casting without the "adapter" plate.

I then found a '93 Buick and got all the parts I needed.

The bottom line is if you want to upgrade to the Delco unit you need to get an early '90s. I do know '93 works, not sure about '94 but all the '95s I looked at were the later design without the aluminum adapter plate.

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Jim said:

In another post there was some discussion about using the Delco later coils and module.

A fellow wanted just the Delco module and the plate under the module and I emailed back.

I then tested one unit I had on the shelf and found I had one bad coil. I went to the local junk yard and picked up a coil and another complete module, coils and mounting plate.

About this time Barney and I were talking on the phone and he mentioned he wondered what year Delco units would work so I looked on line and found all the way up to 2005.

With this info I went back to the junk yard and proceeded to remove a unit from a '99. Part way into the removal I discovered the coils and module were the same BUT they did not have the mounting place underneath but the bolts going through the coils and module went directly into the large mounting casting without the "adapter" plate.

The bottom line is if you want to upgrade to the Delco unit you need to get an early '90s. I do know '93 works, not sure about '94 but all the '95s I looked at were the later design without the aluminum adapter plate.

( After all this I still haven't heard back from the fellow wanting the Delco )

Jim correct me if I am wrong, but once you have the adapter plate you can then use a Delco ignition module and round coils all the way up to the year 2005, right?

ROJ is  VERY good. 

I wish I would have read Padgetts article before going to the junk yard would have saved me some time.

Actually I went back there today and got another assembly from a '93 Pontiac

On 5/10/2020 at 2:46 PM, Jim said:

( After all this I still haven't heard back from the fellow wanting the Delco )

mine came from a 94 bonneville.