Help identify sheet metal part

Rusty Heaps

Can anyone identify this ? Is it even for an automobile? And does anyone need it? It was in a small body shop that was being cleaned out, the shop was closed in the early ‘70s. I’d hate to toss it in the scrap heap if someone can put it to use.

5D97FB4D-8657-41BB-ABB5-814BFF859D72.jpeg

If you really hate to throw it away save it for the next swap meet you attend. In the afternoon as the show & swap meet is winding down, take it to an obvious spot in the flea market and prop it up against a trash can. In short order a vendor or a passerby will pick it up and either display it on his space for sale or take it back home with them. I must confess I've done it lots of times........sometimes I stand back in the shadows and watch people do double takes at the trash can and then come over and pick stuff up. Maybe somehow it will eventually be found by the right person that can use it!

• Like 2

As somebody that has been in the hobby for a half century and always bought and sold parts to support it,I have to say that thing has too much value to scrap. It looks familiar,like a spare tire door for an English sports car but these days my memory bank seems to only have a penny slot. Those cars got rear-ended like all of them and someone has a dinged up,hammered out,bondoed rear hatch that needs that one of yours. It looks close to new old stock. Put it on ebay with a title something like "1950s-60s Triumph?MG?,Sunbeam?other rear spare tire door,looks NOS" and price it at $149.95 or more shipping included. After a million or two people look at it you will sell it.

I have no garage, attic, basement, or storage unit, therefore everything that I do not need is leaving, one way or another. If someone wants it they can have it. If you live in the Knoxville area, feel free to come and get it. I’m thinning the herd, paring down. I just sold my 1955 Pontiac Chieftain project because I cannot do 5 projects at the same time, nor house them all. Craigslist is full of my ads for junk I no longer need. Out, out, out, simplify.