Tires

Tim54

tire size

Tim54 posted a topic in Buick - General

Tim here , I am replacing the 40 yr. old tires (32x4) on a 1923 Buick touring and wanted to know what is recommended if I wanted to go to a larger tire ? also I found there is no white walls in a (32x4 ) size ! if I go larger is there a white wall in any larger tires that will fit this car ? thanks Tim

2 hours ago, Tim54 said:

tire size

Tim54 posted a topic in Buick - General

Tim here , I am replacing the 40 yr. old tires (32x4) on a 1923 Buick touring and wanted to know what is recommended if I wanted to go to a larger tire ? also I found there is no white walls in a (32x4 ) size ! if I go larger is there a white wall in any larger tires that will fit this car ? thanks Tim  . Lucas Tires seem to be the most reasonable $229-$239

I recommend you save the flaps and re-use them. That is the thick felt rim liners that prevent the metal rims from rubbing against the tubes and wearing them out, the felt is a slippery surface the tube can move on. Nobody makes decent flaps anymore, you can't get them. The one [redacted] sells are made of rubber and are as thin as condoms and have no felt.

This is one felt flap I reused on my car, it's about 90 years old but still decent so I cleaned it and reused it. It's very thick and strong. Felt is made from beaver fur and basically never wears out. 

DSCN3499.JPG

DSCN3501.JPG

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Tim, 

I thought Universal tire had good flaps.  They were made based on a single tire size and not a flap that was based on several tire sizes.  I would be inclined to replace all the flaps.  I don't trust old rubber.  The felt ones that Morgan has are different. 

I will give my 2 cents on tires.  The big companies are Coker, Universal, and Lucas.  Look at each of their websites.  I saw all white non skids, 2 different black wall tires, even an all grey tire in 32 x 4.  That is a big selection.  All white non-skids are about $600 each, plus tubes with the correct brass stems, and new flaps- you will feel this purchase.  Black walls are half the price.    

If you want a tire that stands out as being different and something to talk about, the non skids are it.  

Balloon tires came out for Buick in 1925 and I understand that Baloons were made to replace the older tires as well.   I did also see that you could put a larger tire on your 24" rim.

Here is a link to help you understand tires a little better.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/286360-understanding-antique-tire-sizes/

so 32 x 4 = 32-8 = 24" rim.   24 + 10 = 34 , so a 34 x 5 should also fit your 1923 Buick.  A 34 x 5 does come in white walls.   

You have a lot of choices.    Hugh

It's hard to find balloon tires for 24 inch rims. I have 25 inch rims and it's even worse. I can't get balloon tires at all. The most you can get for 24 inch is the 5" as Hugh listed. For me and my 25", I got nothing.

I think the rims have to be smaller for major balloon action. 21 or even 20. They were popular for Fords and Chevy's which had the smaller rims.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On my 1923 Model 45 I have been running 500 x 24 BF Goodrich balloons for years  

Better ride

More contact area for better stopping

Longer wear

I think they look better too

I have two used ones that are too good to throw out perfect for spares that need a good home  Interested?

Watch your DOT date code on any Coker tire.  They tried to sell me 7 year old 'new' tires once. We had a rather public discussion about it before Coker called me and made it right.  I've not purchased from Coker since they changed ownership recently.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/500-24-bf-goodrich-blackwall.html

9 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Tim, 

I thought Universal tire had good flaps.  They were made based on a single tire size and not a flap that was based on several tire sizes.  I would be inclined to replace all the flaps.  I don't trust old rubber.  The felt ones that Morgan has are different. 

I will give my 2 cents on tires.  The big companies are Coker, Universal, and Lucas.  Look at each of their websites.

Just as an FYI, [redacted] and Universal are the same company. [Redacted] purchased Universal about 10 years ago. Same inventory, same prices, same service afterwards. Lucas is still independent, but most of their tires come from [redacted] anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Never had any trouble making the split rim small and the tire off.  Getting it back to round and the two ends of the split rim to mate is another story especially with a stiff new tire. 

Here is my homemade rim spreader.  That’s a 20 series GM truck jack that only requires you to twist the knob by hand as you tap the rim with a soft mallet to get things to move.  1/2 a twist and 3 or 4 taps of the rim.  Repeat.....

With any rim spreader, be careful,  as it is very easy to egg shape the rim  

24DC5573-7B09-463E-A3CF-DEE22CBA4FDC.jpeg

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 2