Fuel cleaner

Pcmhomes

I just bought a 1947 Chrysler Windsor, I have never owned a vehicle older than a 1967 are the modern fuel cleaners safe to put in?  It has the flathead 6.  I would like to run something in it just as a precaution because occasionally it “coughs”.  Thank you for the help!

It occasionally  coughs.  Sounds like an old car.  I would be more worried about alcohol in the gas as you do not know if the carb has been rebuilt for alcohol in the gas.  If it hasn't, it probably will soon need to be.  Most fuel system cleaners these days are for fuel injected cars.  These kind of semi snake oil products will occasionally work but usually they are just money down the drain.  Most likely a product like this will not do any harm but is not really necessary.  It may be morer important to rebuild carb or do a tuneup.  If you have problems don't hesitate to carefully describe and post it here.  Lot of smart folks on the forumn 

6 minutes ago, nickelroadster said:

It occasionally  coughs.  Sounds like an old car.  I would be more worried about alcohol in the gas as you do not know if the carb has been rebuilt for alcohol in the gas.  If it hasn't, it probably will soon need to be.  Most fuel system cleaners these days are for fuel injected cars.  These kind of semi snake oil products will occasionally work but usually they are just money down the drain.  Most likely a product like this will not do any harm but is not really necessary.  It may be morer important to rebuild carb or do a tuneup.  If you have problems don't hesitate to carefully describe and post it here.  Lot of smart folks on the forumn 

Thank you!  I’m going to be giving it a tuneup, the fuel gauge isn’t accurate so I’m sure the guy I bought it from has sucked crud into the system, I have used cleaners on muscle cars and as you said some are ok and some do nothing.  I’m learning as I go with this car and am sure I will have more questions.  I am glad I found this forum.

If you are using fuel with 10% alcohol, the alcohol acts like a fuel system cleaner and on an old car that has never had alcohol-gas it will start dissolving any varnish/build up in the system.  It can also attack rubber hoses, fuel pump parts, etc..  Might check fuel pressure and be sure you keep a clean fuel filter in the system.  

1 hour ago, Larry Schramm said:

If you are using fuel with 10% alcohol, the alcohol acts like a fuel system cleaner and on an old car that has never had alcohol-gas it will start dissolving any varnish/build up in the system.  It can also attack rubber hoses, fuel pump parts, etc..  Might check fuel pressure and be sure you keep a clean fuel filter in the system.  

Thank You!  I will check that.  I run ethanol free and the previous owner stated he did the same.

Also, don't put too much stock in what the fuel gauge is doing. There are all sorts of causes. Some electrical, some due to float problems, some mechanical due to corrosion in the tank, but none having to do with the fuel system sucking up crud. It is probably best to view that as a separate issue.

If you are going to pull the tank anyway though to deal with fuel problems, maybe do a little troubleshooting of the gauge ahead of time, so if there is a problem with the sender you can deal with it while the tank is out.

Fuel system cleaner is snake oil. The trouble is there is no way of verifying what it does. Even if it works and does exactly what the can says it should, you will never know for sure. If there is a little improvement if might be the cleaner, or it might be that the temperature or humidity changed, or it might be a coincidence. The trouble, whatever it was, might return. Best to stick with fixes you can verify. It does wonders for your peace of mind.

Other things to think about with the fuel system are the fuel pump diaphragm (really old ones cannot deal with ethanol in fuel), any rubber hoses (use only SAE 30r9 fuel injection hose for replacement. It is expensive and kind of a pain to use, but is impervious to any fuel). Also, cars of that vintage needed a minor carb overhaul or "kit" about every 5 years to be at their best (much like 1960s cars). They could run a lot longer if some flaws could be tolerated.

You might also look over the ignition, make sure the vacuum advance on the distributor does not have a hole in the diaphragm, that the centrifugal advance weights are not sticking. Make sure your spark plugs are clean and gapped, inspect your distributor cap and wires for bad insulation or other damage. If the insulation of the plug wires looks ok, you can check the center conductor with an ohmmeter.

Flathead Chryslers are great cars. Have fun!

EDIT: While I was typing I see you posted you are running non-ethanol fuel. Good idea. I would still plan for ethanol, as sometimes it cannot be avoided.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Bloo thank you that’s a lot of great information it gives me a great starting point.  For the most part it runs great I drove it an hour home when I bought it.  I just want to make sure it runs as good as it can and I want to learn as much about the car as possible.  I really appreciate everyone that has taken the time to help me out!

• Like 2

Pcm,

Looks like Bloo has you off to a good start.

I cleaned the tank on my '30 Chrysler by dropping the bottom plug, drained the old gas, and flushed her out with a couple of buckets of hot water and Dawn thru the filler, and let it drain out the plug.

Then a quick blow out with the compressor, till it blew clean out the plug.

I then installed a BIG clear filter in the pick up line, back by the tank.

A year later there is just some small solids in the filter. Not enough to be concerned with.

I also have a clear filter just ahead and just behind the fuel pump, and so far they remain clean.

A '47 is not really that old so get yourself a "mechanics handbook" AND a parts book, before you start tearing into her.

AND, check in on the Chrysler forums. Lots of info for a "newby" there............

Mike in Colorado

PS; Not to be nosey, but tell us where you are, and post a picture of your car as your avatar, or in your next post.

There may be someone close to you that would be willing to lend a hand as you sort her out.

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Pcm,

Just as an FYI, I had a '47 Windsor as my daily driver, back in '63 when I worked at the  j.I. Case plant in Bettendorf. Iowa.

She was Forest, (British Racing) green. Hood had a lot of surface rust, so we painted it flat black and painted a palm tree on the front doors.

Called her "Rommel's Staff car". Damm thing was indestructible ! She had 80K on the clock when I got it and I think I put another 80K on her in the next 6 years.

Traded her and some $$$ for a '60 vette. Worst trade I ever made.

Mike in colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Like 1