EGR delete or not

Buick35

Working on my son's 03 explorer with a 4.6 motor and I finally was able to remove the egr tube to gain access to the intake.I wondering if I should delete it or not.I heard it would run cooler and better with it blocked off,any comments? Thanks

28 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

Working on my son's 03 explorer with a 4.6 motor and I finally was able to remove the egr tube to gain access to the intake.I wondering if I should delete it or not.I heard it would run cooler and better with it blocked off,any comments? Thanks

Assuming the EGR is functioning properly, it is only active at lightly loaded part throttle cruise. The fuel map for your EFI takes EGR function into account and is typically set lean under those conditions. Disabling EGR can cause pinging as a result. You won't see or feel a difference. Again, this assumes the system is working properly. If the tubes are plugged or the valve is bad, fix those.

• Like 2

It is almost never a good idea to remove EGR. EGR effectively raises the octane of the fuel. There is more timing advance at part throttle when EGR is active than there would be on a car without. Under power it is about the same.

At part throttle the timing will be too advanced without the EGR. It will probably ping and stink.

A bad valve will not shut off completely. The pintile and seat no longer seal due to erosion and rust. That causes problems at idle and low speeds, surging, stalling at stoplights and so on. If there is a question about the EGR valve's condition, consider replacing it while you have it off.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 4/24/2020 at 2:00 PM, joe_padavano said:

Assuming the EGR is functioning properly, it is only active at lightly loaded part throttle cruise. The fuel map for your EFI takes EGR function into account and is typically set lean under those conditions. Disabling EGR can cause pinging as a result. You won't see or feel a difference. Again, this assumes the system is working properly. If the tubes are plugged or the valve is bad, fix those.

You forgot to mention that it's also illegal to remove it.

33 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

You forgot to mention that it's also illegal to remove it.

That is between the owner and his/her conscience.  I'm not the EPA and I don't know where the OP lives. The reality is that no private citizen has ever been charged with violating that federal law, only shops and commercial entities.

39 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

That is between the owner and his/her conscience.  I'm not the EPA and I don't know where the OP lives. The reality is that no private citizen has ever been charged with violating that federal law, only shops and commercial entities.

It is the law none the less.

I'm in Florida and it's mainly for off road use.I saw videos and read articles where it would run cooler and more responsive with it blocked off. Just wondered if anybody else has done it with positive results.I didn't destroy anything removing it so I can reinstall it.Thanks,Greg.

2 hours ago, Buick35 said:

I'm in Florida and it's mainly for off road use.I saw videos and read articles where it would run cooler and more responsive with it blocked off. Just wondered if anybody else has done it with positive results.I didn't destroy anything removing it so I can reinstall it.Thanks,Greg.

Actually the reason EGR was implemented was to lower the combustion temperature and lowering the combustion temperature stops the engine from detonation or pinging which also reduce Oxides of Nitrogen pollution.

There is negative trade-offs when you start removing things and not knowing the reason why.

• Like 3