Couple q's on alternator and power windows

Chrisssssssss

Hey all, 

I am going to be adding some car audio stuff to the reatta and want to know what alternators are compatible for the reatta to use?I looked up on Rock Auto and listed only a few cars as compatible so I was wondering if there was a specific compatible alternator I can look for in a pick n pull to be able to use in the car? If not right out of the box plug and play, how hard to find another more common and higher amperage unit should I look for that could work, but with a few minor wiring tweaks?

second, my passenger window only goes down 1/3 of the way then makes a horrible grinding noise and won't go down further. I'm gonna assume new power window internals (actuator?) is probably needed (though I haven't taken off the door panel to inspect yet) is there any interchangeability between a reatta mechanism and other GM cars of that era?

Ohhh one last one, If anyone has a radio module that does not have amplified outputs, I would be interested in one. I believe it would have to be from a Bose equipped vehicle because Bose used separate amps for their speakers. I am going to be integrating the factory set-up into a modern system, so Line level outs may be useful, but not absolutely necessary. I wanted to see if the sound quality was better.

THanks  

The Reatta power window motor is a common GM part.... the mechanism is unique to Reatta.

Various things can happen.....the motor gear can get wear,  the mechanism (teeth) can wear, the unit can get bent.

I don't think there is any way to adjust how the motor contacts the mechanism teeth.

DANIEL... educated me......what is a non amped cdm?

I have been occasionally monitoring the discussion,  but for the last 6 week we have been stranded at our daughters in Dallas.

Came home today.....started going thru 6 weeks of mail, emails, magazines, bills.......and there is grass to mow. 

We did take a day trip up to Bonham TX to visit Pete Phillips shop last Tuesday..... another 15 miles and we would have been in Oklahoma.

I think Daniel means what I am looking for. The Bose radio module that doesn't have a built in amp for regular speakers like most of the other radio modules you find out there. I have several of each of the amped modules (ones w eq and ones w/o eq just bass and treble controls) mainly sourced from GM trucks of the era. The pick n pull is loaded with that era truck and those modules are a plenty out here. If anyone needs one, I will do a capacitor swap to fix the crackles and ship it out to them if anyone wants. Let me know. Not too sure what to charge for one, but whatever. I would do it cheaply.

Oh also one other thing. The compass modules that you can add on to the touch screen. What vehicles were they available from? I want to add one of them. I already did a rear view swap with a temperature/compass and auto dim unit. Now want to add the compass to the touchscreen. 

I am gonna take that door panel off the passenger side within the next few days. It's on the list. Just finishing the lower intake gasket swap job on my 98 Regal GS. This was fun...

• 3 weeks later...

Yes - our engines came with a CS-144 alternator.  There are a number of shops that offer CS-144 upgrades, if needed.  Be interesting to know if the later AD244 would fit.

It is trivial to swap in a Bose CDM module - preferably from 1990 or newer.  I know an '89 module will work, but AM tuning on the high end will be limited to 1620 kHz.  Best would be a Bose CDM from a '94 or '95 Cadillac.  Note that the Bose CDM module is bass/treble - not 5-band EQ.  So the middle three EQ sliders on your head unit won't work.

The low-level outputs on the Bose CDM are the same four pairs of wires that the speakers use in the amplified versions.

15 hours ago, padgett said:

The Riviera was available without the EQ. The BCM has a different screen for the Bass/Treble unit.

True.  The Riv had a Bose option - which is bass/treble.  So the CRT controller somehow knows how to interrogate the CDM module to discover which flavor it is.

Didn't read that the OP has a '89 Reatta.  If it were a '90 or '91 head unit version, the middle three sliders don't do anything when a bass/treble CDM module is used.

• 2 weeks later...

Well then... this sucks... No hidden amp even? No hidden DSP? No hidden sub? Only thing I can do is change out the speakers for replacements in factory size and location... And no amp or booster at all even for those so it would have to play off the factory installed amp from the radio module only. Booooo... Or I can do my stereo, and forgo the collector's status and pretty much huge insurance deals being around 10-20% of what normal insurance cost would be so that's substantial. Also the prestige of the collector's plates status. But too many restrictions. Hmmmm what to do? I can put my systems in my other cars but I wanted to do the Reatta and integrate a high end system with the factory deck. Gah. What are all your thoughts?

100049481_287924605574555_6964892788815036416_n.jpg

Can add anything you want, just have to build your own harness to  the tuner/amp module in the cosole of an 89. BTW my collector insurance did not change when I changed the radio to add a safety item (handsfree).

Ya. I know. I had plans and idea, I wanted to add at least an amp and dsp. Under these rules (our ICBC provincial insurance monopoly sucks) it's not allowed. So I can spend like $130 month on regular normal insurance and do my stereo... or $300 a year for the limited Collectors... 

Edited by Chrisssssssss (see edit history)