LAGONDA RAPIER.

On 10/2/2023 at 5:13 AM, Rapier said:

It really is quite simple, in the past we have had a "Big Holiday" every four years. This involved shipping our 1934 Lagonda Rapier two seater sports car to England. From there it was simply a matter of crossing the English Channel to France and the rest of Europe. We have gone as far as the south of Spain on these holiday trips. We have driven the 'Rapier over 100,000 miles over the years that we have owned it.

DSCN0698.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

DSCN0276.jpg

DSCN8041.JPG

are there rally's with historical cars in Australia?

There are a number of Clubs devoted to both Pre-1939 cars and "One Make"of car. ie Jaguar, MG etc. My own club is the Vintage Sports Car Club of which I have been a member for more that 50 years, I am also a past President and a past Committee member in a number of posts.  I also have "a couple of shelves full of Pewter Pots (Trophies) from various competitive (Speed) events.  One of my favourite past times is restoring cars that when purchased come into the category of "Basket Case" as referred to victims of trench-warfare in the 1914-18 war.

Below are two photographs of the same 1922 Dixie Flyer. A rare limited production car manufactured as an "offshoot" of the then Kentucky Wagon Company in Louisville Kentucky. USA.

-before.jpg.27924bdb8707ea3c16ec364c9e7bc9fc.jpgimage.jpeg.cf477920bac10bcb4505cd2fe44038c2.jpeg

In the above photograph the car, a "Firefly Speedster" is seen standing of  the "factory floor" where it was first made,

It is now owned by the Kentucky Trailer Co, the present day continuation of the original "Wagon Company".  We, my wife, Helen and I took the car to the USA for the "Diamond Jubilee" of the Antique Automobile Club of America in 2010. While there, it was bought by the mamagement of the "Trailer Co".

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Rapier said:

There are a number of Clubs devoted to both Pre-1939 cars and "One Make"of car. ie Jaguar, MG etc. My own club is the Vintage Sports Car Club of which I have been a member for more that 50 years, I am also a past President and a past Committee member in a number of posts.  I also have "a couple of shelves full of Pewter Pots (Trophies) from various competitive (Speed) events.  One of my favourite past times is restoring cars that when purchased come into the category of "Basket Case" as referred to victims of trench-warfare in the 1914-18 war.

Below are two photographs of the same 1922 Dixie Flyer. A rare limited production car manufactured as an "offshoot" of the then Kentucky Wagon Company in Louisville Kentucky. USA.

-before.jpg.27924bdb8707ea3c16ec364c9e7bc9fc.jpgimage.jpeg.cf477920bac10bcb4505cd2fe44038c2.jpeg

In the above photograph the car, a "Firefly Speedster" is seen standing of  the "factory floor" where it was first made,

It is now owned by the Kentucky Trailer Co, the present day continuation of the original "Wagon Company".  We, my wife, Helen and I took the car to the USA for the "Diamond Jubilee" of the Antique Automobile Club of America in 2010. While there, it was bought by the mamagement of the "Trailer Co".

My idea of basket case is a car that comes with almost all the parts and needs a considerable amount or reassembly. Your idea of basket case is more on the line of resurrection than restoration.

Originally the term "Basket Case"  comes from the trench warfare during World War 1,

It describes the victim of a direct hit by an enemy artillery shell where they were literally "blown to bits". The stretcher bearers were said to have to place the collected pieces into a basket to take them to a "First aid post" to be patched together as best they could.

Bj.

Changing the subject,  on Saturday we drove the Rapier over a very mixed collection of roads for a total distance of over 150 Kms.

Today, Tuesday, I decided that I should give it a good clean inside and out.

Inside took me a matter of minutes to sweep the front, plain dark green wool, carpet I was surprised how little dust and dirt I needed to clean away.  Then I turned my attention to the outside, again it did not need a wash just a simple and quick dust with a clean soft cotton cloth. Remarkable considering the cars white, "Old English Ivory" colour. It was almost as if the car had not been out of the garage.  Checking the oil level I may have to add, perhaps I may add about a "pint"of oil to the sump and about the same quantity of water to the radiator. This despite driving most of the day at about 100 kph.  (Highway driving).

image.jpeg.6ab66214de6fbe28f02ee4bb890ead6b.jpeg

What a good little car!

Bj.

• Like 5

Thank you Digger, It is the main reason that I have survived up the age I am.

I was originally scheduled to die about 20 years ago when I had major surgery in order to remove some well advanced cancer from my bladder. These days, ever since that operation, I have to make do with a replacement a very clever surgeon fashioned from a short section of intestine. Fortunately and thanks to the doctor's skill I lead an almost normal life.  Hopefully I will live a few  more years. I am not interested in making 100 but it would be an achievement to reach the 90's.

One or two glasses of a reasonably good "Red"  per night, seems to keep me on the right track.

Cheers!

Bj.

P.S. It is a prerequisite for membership of the Vintage Sports Car Club.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rapier said:

Thank you Digger, It is the main reason that I have survived up the age I am.

I was originally scheduled to die about 20 years ago when I had major surgery in order to remove some well advanced cancer from my bladder. These days, ever since that operation, I have to make do with a replacement a very clever surgeon fashioned from a short section of intestine. Fortunately and thanks to the doctor's skill I lead an almost normal life.  Hopefully I will live a few  more years. I am not interested in making 100 but it would be an achievement to reach the 90's.

One or two glasses of a reasonably good "Red"  per night, seems to keep me on the right track.

Cheers!

Bj.

P.S. It is a prerequisite for membership of the Vintage Sports Car Club.

every day is a day won to enjoy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Again The VSCC will take charge of our lives for a week or so. Again it is the "Alpine Rally" a five day event through the "hill country' in South East Australia. We can expect a number (mostly) of un-sealed (Dirt) roads.

For now you know as much as we do.

Bernie J.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hello DrD, D and BB,

It is not that I am ignoring your contributions it is just that I have a lot of my (tiny) mind just now. For one thing, what should I do with/about the Raworth Special Morris, while a replica it is still an important car in the overall scheme of things. It is currently out at Yarra Junction with our son Steven.  MG fans should be aware that the (6) Raworth Specials predate all the MG's among Cecil Kimber's creations.  None of the original six have survived and this is the only known "replica". It is slowly"comming together with a rebuilt engine and new (leather) upholstery. As a rear wheel brake only, it should prove "interesting" to drive.  Hopefully it will prove to be even faster than it looks...............
DSCN7888.jpg.e893c09e569588468dd3ac646060bede.jpgDSCN7906.jpg.b0dcb8680bea69d78709abdcc95b26b8.jpg

DSCN7920.jpg.47d8921ec1326dd9c81268d70f105f85.jpg

Dear oh dear, I have stumped my friends, they just do not know what to think about the Morris. To me it is a potentially a very interesting car. I am quite keen to get it back from Steve, but just what happens then is anyones guess.  I did think that I would leave it with him but he has too much on his plate already. It is a long time since I had a 2wb car and it could take some time getting used to it. Meanwhile we have the VSCC Alpine Rally (5 days) comming up very soon. This is an event that we have enjoyed in the Rapier before.

Bj.

• Like 1

Well a little time has slipped by since I last looked in here. The Rapier is patiently waiting for the start of our next adventure together. This is again the VSCC Alpine Rally, due to start this cpmming Friday. Our trusty Lagonda Rapier is patiently waiting in the garage all ready to go. All that I need to do is to top-up the petrol tank on the way to the start.

The "Photo" below shows the Lagonda in company with Bruce Rodgers similar "Rapier" on an earlier (2010) event.  Bruce's car being two or three years younger wears a "Rapier' badge on the radiator.  Basically the cars are similar although they each have a body by a different Coach building company.  This is a very long story covered in detail on any number of related internet sites.

image.jpeg.491421843d66ad4c491f5bb785274ee7.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Now that it is over, the Alpine Rally was a little short of a disaster. By the end of the first day the electrics were in disarray, with no current being generated. Rather than heading for home we continued on. As could be expected we were at the greatest distance from home when it refused to start. After some delay we managed to arrange a RACV (tilt tray) tow truck to bring the Rapier home. Almost full days travel with Helen and I sitting up in the trucks cab with the driver.  When we arrived home instead of using the truck's winch to carefully lower the car, the driver disconnected the cable and simply tilted the tray to unloadthe car. I was attempting to control the car's progress using the handbrake while standing beside the car. Of course I slipped allowing the Rapier to run back off the truck and crashing into the rear of Helen's VW.  Fortunately there was on damage to the VW but the left hand rear mudguard on the Rapier was crushed. Our friendly "Smash-repairer" Brian, has been to look at it in order to submit a quote to the Insurance company. (RACV).

They will not be able to process the claim until mid January (next year)!  In Six weeks time, meanwhile the Rapier will sit in it's garage.

I have now (yesterday afternoon) washed the "couple of thousand kilometres of dust and dirt" off the VW.  What I do for "my next trick" is open to conjecture! Sadly our problems are of a comparatively minor nature. One of our fellow entrants had a ,fatal to the driver, accident when a branch fell from an over-hanging tree killing the driver and sending the navigator to hospital with serious injuries, while the crew of another competing car are also in hospital following another serious accident.

Bj.

There but for the grace of God.

A tree branch falling into an open car while driving is a rare and totally unexpected occurrence. Also sorry to to hear that your car had trouble and was damaged. On the bright side if the Rapier had been running properly it could have been your car and glad to hear that you and Helen are home safely. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Accidents of any nature are rare in VSCC Events and this is the first ever fatal accident that I know off. We all perhaps take the privilege of being permitted to drive our Vintage and Thoroughbred cars on the public roads for granted.

Having said that most of those cars are in better condition and better maintained than many a fraction on their age. The same could be said for the drivers almost without exception. At 87 years old I believe that I keep our Lagonda in top roadworthy condition.

The problem with the electrics was an isolated case and was rectified once I got the car home. Rather than drive in in a suspect condition I arranged to have it transported home. The damage suffered was not due to either the cars condition or my ability to keep to under control.  The Rapiers brakes are among, in fact acknowledged as  13the best of any car made in the 1930s. 13 inch diameter drums with shoes almost 1.5 inches wide. The cover photograph of the book "Ever Keen" says it all!

Less than 30 ft from 30mph.

Scan.jpeg.5d3dea8c6cdf64b7dd47d7276c06c1f5.jpeg

image.jpeg.3f66bbcad3e2e0c1253d42d85a1f2c6c.jpeg

image.jpeg.93654695c0743ebb363aa9729c016a1c.jpeg

DSCN7917.jpg.f8245224b2c0f8d894817869b80ba44c.jpg

Only the car has changed. CH1998 (KG 5363) is the last in a long line of Rapiers.

It has a (Replica) Eagle two seater body and the engine is enlarged to 1500cc.

It is (still) the somewhat up-dated, ex Beatrice Shilling  racing car.

image.jpeg.6a648b62faf908bddcaeef7bc5cd3a6b.jpeg

Bj.

• Like 3

As if to prove that I am not infallible The Rapier now has a dished in left hand rear mudguard. This happened while unloading it off the back of a "tilt-tray" tow-truck.

It ran back hitting the rear of the VW Jetta fortunately no damage to the VW but the Rapier will require some expert attention both to repair the mudguard and to repaint it.

The paint is a "two-pack" acrylic requiring both special equipment and some expertise to apply it.

Bernie, sorry to hear about the string of disasters on your tour. A mudguard is easily repaired, injury from a falling tree branch not so much. Several years ago, one of the drivers in the Mille California went off the road and straight into a large oak in his SS 100. I had met them the day before when the Mille stopped overnight in our little town. 

As long as the mudguard isn’t impeding the tire, take it out for a drive or two. If anyone asks, just say “Oh, that? Well I just passed a Bugattis Tipo 35 and he took umbrage.”

My friendly repairer has looked at the damage and prepared a quotatiom, I am now waiting to the insurance assessor to come and look at it. I have a small "ding" on the other rear mudguard a memoto from our visit to the Isle of Jersey two-years ago. It may as well be repaired at the same time. I did think about changing the colour but white cars seem to be my "thing"..............

Bj.

image.jpeg.5bc9912863467a26e94dc1943d4cf101.jpegIt is just as well that I keep these things, we visitedJersey in 1999. a little more than two years ago. The ding in the right rear mudguard was the result of narrow "lanes" and stone walls. Otherwise a really interesting place.  Sadly I cannot see us visiting there again.  For people who do not know, Jersey is just off the coast of France.

Some Ferries going between  the UK and France include a stop in Jersey

Bj.

• 2 weeks later...

Now three or four years later we have decided, we will not be taking the Lagonda Rapier away overseas again. The cost and the additional effort is no longer the "adventure" it  may have been when we were three or four years younger. At age 86 I no longer need the extra  stress that it all involves.   IF we go away at all this will probably be restricted to visiting our friends in England.  Even so, driving will be restricted to roads away from the larger towns and mainly country roads and smaller villages.

• Like 2

Right now I do not care whether we go away or not. First thing is to sort out the ongoing problems that I seem to have with the Lagonda Rapiers "electrics"! I have a new "Control box" but need someone with a "volt meter' and the knowledge of how to use it in diagnosing what the problem in the "Charging circuit" is.

If you weren't a half a world away I would be glad to swing by and give you a hand. Volt meters are a great tool, but I have found that they can lead you down the rabbit hole when chasing thing on old cars, so my first tool is the simple light bulb tester.

The strands of stranded wire can be 99% broken and volt meter will tell you that you have proper voltage, but it won't tell you if your wire can carry enough current to work a single light bulb and stranded wires eventually break where they flex. Best help I can give you from here is tell you how many problems can be spotted by a good visual inspection of wire termination points and pinching either side of a wire near its flex point and giving it a gentle tug. If the wire pulls free from its connector, or the insulation stretches, the wire is broken you've found your problem.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your support. I am not sure which way to go. I have the Rapier booked in with a local Auto Electrician later this week, he should be able to tell me what is needed.

I do have a "new-old-stock" voltage regulator should the one on the car have a problem.

Or it may be a simple matter of "adjusting" the original one on the car (below).

Bj.image.jpeg.5de0b7653a3106f88562b40dd01f6bec.jpeg

Not everyone includes physical location in their profile, so it's hard to tell how many Aussies and Kiwis are active here, but I do know from his tech help question about Buick wiring, that there is a new Aussie in the last couple of months. His profile didn't say he was from down under, but his question about wiring was for converting red to amber turn signals to comply with Australia law.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 11:41 AM, Rapier said:

Thank you for all your support. I am not sure which way to go. I have the Rapier booked in with a local Auto Electrician later this week, he should be able to tell me what is needed.

I do have a "new-old-stock" voltage regulator should the one on the car have a problem.

Or it may be a simple matter of "adjusting" the original one on the car (below).

Bj.image.jpeg.5de0b7653a3106f88562b40dd01f6bec.jpeg

check the voltage with a voltmeter on the battery.

check wires.

testing makes you know where the problem is located.

• Like 1

All the "bugs" have now been ironed out and the Rapier is home again and to date it is charging exactly as it should. The auto-elect has even found a correct period cap to go on the voltage regulator. I have only driven the 20 kms home but next weekend we have another VSCC event and I am looking forward to a trouble free drive, just as it should be!

After all we have driven well over 100,000 miles with no major troubles and the car is treated as one of the family.

Bj.

• Like 2

The "bugs" or perhaps more accurately "Gliches" were all contained in the "Voltage regulator" - "Cut-out". These have now been corrected allowing the generator/dynamo to deliver a full 12 Volts to the battery/accumulator. Hopefully this will see and end to our problems and we can get on an enjoy driving the Rapier with out having to keep one eye on the "amp-meter". One bonus, if you worry about these things that we now have a correct "period" cover for the "Regulator". The only things now to worry the "purists" are thge nasty plastic (Blue) crimp-on terminal ends and the modern plastic covered wires.DSCN8199.jpg.31b735d3400eb5791ac5994c6529e88f.jpg

13 hours ago, Rapier said:

thge nasty plastic (Blue) crimp-on terminal ends and the modern plastic covered wires.

Bernie, I suspect there are not enough Lagonda purists in the world, let alone in your country, to worry about the blue plastic. However, an easy and nice solution for you is to buy some black shrink wrap tubing, cut to fit, slide it over the blue, heat it with a heat gun or your wife's hair dryer, and enjoy something that will fool most people into thinking it is "as original". 

A beautiful car. Thank you for your many posts and pictures.

Edited by pmhowe (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Not to worry, We have been out all day to day, leaving home in time to be at the start if the VSCC "Two-wheel brake rally" originally intended to encourage owner of early vintage cars to "Take them out and drive them". This event today is open to all Club Members driving their eligible "Pre WW2 car". A pleasant if a little tiring days motoring. 

We naturally went in the Lagonda Rapier. It performed well all day and did not "miss a beat".\

Bj.

• Like 1

Having driven the Rapier for a "run"if about 100 miles yesterday I can report that the "bugs" in the electrical control box appear to be well under control (again) The electrical charge doing what it is supposed to do!  i.e. Keeping the battery charged and supplying the current for the ignition and fuel pump(s). 

I used the term "pumps" advisedly. There are two seperate pumps the second one supplying fuel from the "Reserve" ie. the bottom 1/3 of the petrol tank rather than a seperate tank.  To achieve this there are two fuel supply pipes, the second one drawing fuel from the "bottom" of the tank while the "Main" supply cuts out about 4 to 6 inches higher up.

There is a seperate switch for the "reserve pump" on the dash-board. This should be left "off" until the reserve is required. Both are SU electric pumps. The main pump is mounted on the bulkhead, under the bonnet. The reserve pump is mounted on the chassis side member under the car. In addition there is a "two way" tap mounted on the bulkhead under the main pump under the bonnet. All relatively fool proof provided that the driver remembers to turn both the tap and the switch off after using the emergency reserve!  This done, the driver is made aware that the supply of fuel is "running low" before it actually cuts out!  All this does rely to some extent on be driver to remember to manage the cars fuel supply correctly.   Nothing would be worse than running out of fuel in some lonely country road and finding that you has already used up the "reserve" (emergency supply). While the Rapier is a very intelegent and caring car it does rely to some extent on driver being prepared to co-operate with it.DSCN8200.JPG.d923b3e5be841d58bf4f684d50091f69.JPG

The fitting on the top of the rear mounted petrol tank showing the two pipes leaving the tank.DSCN8201.jpg.8c9c448e72289bc968e875aec543dc48.jpg

Easily accessable,the 'two way tap" controlling the reserve fuel supply to the "petrol pump". The only problem with this system is that it does rely on the driver to remember to "manage" it correctly. 

• Like 2

Sitting here at my computer I have just had a sudden thought. I wonder how many of the people reading this really appreciate anything that I write here.

I doubt very much that there is even one person anywhere in the world that could honestly say that actually understand what my life is!

For a start I was born in November 1936. I had one sister six years older and one brother three years older then much later another brother born after the finish of ww2.

My sister and my elder brother have both "passed" some time ago. I do not know when I last spoke to my younger brother, this despite the fact that he lives less than 10 kms away. We do not even exchange emails.

• Thanks 2