McLaughlin Buicks

Greetings all. I am a long time Buick fan and am presently restoring a 1917 D35 Mclaughlin (Canada). My Grandfather purchased this car in 1920 so it is a family heirloom. My Dad drove it until 1948, then made it into a truck. It  carried on until the early 70s around the farm. As you can imagine it was pretty worn out so restoration is also repair. He replaced it with a 1927 Buick small series sedan. 

A great project though. 

Here's where I started. 

DSC00132.JPG

• Like 7

My great uncle had one like it. Well worth restoring ! It's great that the family kept the back half of the body and the top.

The second photo shows the car all decked out to go to the Armistice Day celebrations in London,Ont. in November 1918.

Jim

Sumner's McLaughlin Buick.jpg

Sumner McLaughlin-Buick Armistice Day 1918.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

Welcome, interesting story behind your car. I have a 1916 McLaughlin D45. Your car seems to be mostly, if not all there. Is the back door with it?

What engine does it have?

Have you made any progress on the car yet?

There is a friend of mine, Dean Tryon, who publishes a small newsletter for that era of Buicks and McLaughlins. If you don't know of him, I can provide you with some contact info.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

To take the questions in order. it is the 4 cylinder 3.375 bore. Right now I forget the cu. in. The car is identical to the one in your picture - minus the accessory bumper. I have the complete body as it was saved. I had to find a spare tire rack, and the top is probably for an E series but should be able to fit it. 

Progress: Well the body wood is the worst job in my book so I did that first. That took me 2 winters. It is complete. This winter I started on the mechanical. I have the frame done and installed the first part on it today. The brake arm assembly. 

I am presently working on rear axle and brakes. The engine is disassembled and at the machine shop awaiting new pistons. So you could say that I'm right in the middle of it.

No I didn't know about Dean. I would be interested in his newsletter. 

Dad and the McLaughlin.jpg

20190115_195925.jpg

20200401_172955.jpg

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Nice looking work.  The body work looks very good.

If you need any sheet metal, I have some sheet metal from two cars except fenders.  I also have some other parts.  I have a 1918 Buick E-4 truck that shares a lot of the same chassis parts.  That is a very good running car when set up.

I forgot to add that my main Buick experience is on the 26-30 models. We had a 27 when I was young. Family member has a restored 27- 7 pass touring, Museum has a 29, and a couple of trucks with the Buick engines. So the 17 isn't totally new to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 10:27 PM, Oldtech said:

Greetings all. I am a long time Buick fan and am presently restoring a 1917 D35 Mclaughlin (Canada). My Grandfather purchased this car in 1920 so it is a family heirloom. My Dad drove it until 1948, then made it into a truck. It  carried on until the early 70s around the farm. As you can imagine it was pretty worn out so restoration is also repair. He replaced it with a 1927 Buick small series sedan. 

A great project though. 

Here's where I started. 

DSC00132.JPG

do you still need a spare tire carrier?

i bought one years ago to try to adapt to my 1914 B-37, but did something else beforehand.

let me know if this could help

CCF14368-DC88-4F20-9723-3CE6B5B8948E.jpeg

27E37DD8-03EB-4853-956A-21A30EEAA87A.jpeg

A5DBF98D-68D9-43D2-B278-6B20C49E0911.jpeg