Clarks Carpet Install

kdml

I am testing fitting my new carpet from Clarks for my '65.  It is the cut & sewn version, not the molded.  Has anyone installed this before as I have some questions?

1. Should there be a gap between the front and rear carpet under the seats (see 1st picture)?  
  2. Was any trimming required?  Assuming I laid this out correctly, it looks like I need to trim the outside edges in the door jambs (see 1st picture).
  3. Any gluing required or should the carpet just lay in place?  I am thinking gluing might hold the carpet better over the transmission tunnel and where it kicks up near the rear seat.
  4. When the rear carpet kicks up under the rear seat, should it then turn under the rear seat or does it just stand straight up?
  5. What happens in the corner for the rear section of carpet?  I inserted mine under the rear armrest (see 2nd picture).  Is this right?  Anyone have any pictures of the corners with everything installed? 

Thanks

Doug

carpet 2.jpg

carpet 1.jpg

1 hour ago, kdml said:

I am testing fitting my new carpet from Clarks for my '65.  It is the cut & sewn version, not the molded.  Has anyone installed this before as I have some questions?

1. Should there be a gap between the front and rear carpet under the seats (see 1st picture)?  
  2. Was any trimming required?  Assuming I laid this out correctly, it looks like I need to trim the outside edges in the door jambs (see 1st picture).
  3. Any gluing required or should the carpet just lay in place?  I am thinking gluing might hold the carpet better over the transmission tunnel and where it kicks up near the rear seat.
  4. When the rear carpet kicks up under the rear seat, should it then turn under the rear seat or does it just stand straight up?
  5. What happens in the corner for the rear section of carpet?  I inserted mine under the rear armrest (see 2nd picture).  Is this right?  Anyone have any pictures of the corners with everything installed? 

Thanks

Doug

carpet 2.jpg

carpet 1.jpg

Hi Doug, 

I just installed this same carpet. 

1: The carpet I removed was cut exactly like yours so I assume that’s correct. I requested Clark’s not to cut mine as I relocated the front seats back 3”. Im 6’4” and needed the extra room. Big improvement for me. 

2: I did trim the outside edges at the sill plates some. Minor trim at the console carpet retainer molding, mostly where the trim kicks up towards the dash, careful here, cutting too much would be a problem. Really take your time fitting it.

Rear carpet goes under the console, front sets go in after the console is in and attach to the outside of the console body with the aluminum trim. 

3: I did use 3m spray adhesive in the rear in a few areas. Under the rear seat ( so it wouldn’t stand up #4 ) And beneath the armrest  side panels, mine were removed.  Sides of the tunnel and out by the edge of the sill plate too. I also trimmed and glued the jute padding to fit right under the lip inside the sill.

I didn’t see any need on the front carpet as it was laying in there nice. I did find warming the rear set up with a heat gun made it more ply able. Didn’t need to do that to the front. 

5: yours looks correct, it goes under the side panels. I trimmed mine about 1/2” wide where it curves around the wind lace to the sill plate. I spray glued the back side & folded it over for a finished look there instead of a cut edge. 

I also have a thread on here called interior progress this weekend. There are some pics on there. If you want some more specific, let me know. 

Brian

Edited by 71GS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Brian

I had looked at your other thread and didn’t see the gap. Thanks for clarifying yours was custom.  

If you could get some pictures of how your rear section finished install looks as it turns under the seat and how the corners look near the front of the armrest, that would be helpful.  

Doug. Here ya go. some close ups of my corners by the sill. The rear edge of the carpet is glued just a bit at the outer corners and at the center driveshaft hump. The rear seat bottom will hold it down. 
hope this helps. 
Brian

A7D10676-7986-48CF-AB06-C56F4854130B.jpeg

3461C626-CE87-4D76-89B7-AAB2F9864B0A.jpeg

A8F86086-369A-4798-8D18-38F2C961B1D5.jpeg

7A25C8FB-7B17-44BC-A6D6-EBA7DC548602.jpeg

49498F1A-852C-4EE9-9360-16C98EC2702D.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 71GS said:

The rear edge of the carpet is glued just a bit at the outer corners

I looked at my '64 in the garage. My carpet is a Clack's that I installed in 1995. If I had glued down those corners it would look perfect.

The front carpets were not glued down at that time. It has shifted some and I had to work out some wrinkles made by foot pressure over the years. I may do a color change to a gray interior this time (my third refurbish; (1981, 1995, and now). If I keep it black the carpet will stay, it is fine.

Bernie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kdml said:

Thanks Brian.  Pictures are exactly what I needed. 

Bernie, I plan to glue corners as well.

Thanks again

Your welcome, my best advice is to just mess with it a good bit before you cut anything. You will figure out where some glue will be a good idea. I used 3M super 77 spray adhesive. Take your time and good luck. Let us know how it goes or if there are any questions. 

Brian

This job started as a redo of the aging lacquer applied in 1981, but a lot of little things added themselves to the list. Too many cars that all shine nice and run. It is a lot easier to spray a little detailer on one of the others and go for a ride than work on the one that needs attention.

At least I am not doing this again.

010.thumb.jpg.1872cefcafbfe9b50a744fe57c85f6ad.jpg

• Like 3

I've had my '63 since 1980, a fun summer driver, a beater actually. In 1991, took it apart for paint, got married, other car projects, new house and kids, it sat for 25 years. In 2016 the oldest boy showed interest, worked Father & Son for 6 weeks then it was just me and a low priority at that.

This staying "Put" at home finally has me working on the Riviera.

Installing the 3rd carpet piece now, regretfully not a Clark's. Not impressed with my product. Compared with the original carpet, the material is thinner. I received a Clark's sample with a parts order after purchasing the  ACC product with the optional urethane "Mass Backing". Clark's sample better than original. With the ACC carpet, I now feel I paid extra to 'doctor-up" the inferior material. Lipstick on a pig!

I had to take the front pieces to an upholstery shop to install binding on the edges like the original.

The Mass Backing and Carpet is 3/16" thick. When overlapped with the rear carpet is 3/8" thick! I had to be brutal with a rasp on the edges, like grating black cheese! The sill plates work better now.

The point of reply is instead of contact cement, a friend gave me a roll of incredible double sided tape. It doesn't stick on the rasped portions but I don't need it there.

Brian, you had your console out? I made the mistake of removing brackets without marking them for Dynamat. Also it doesn't help I installed a different console. It was a can-of-worms experience and held-up the carpet install.

• Like 1

Quote “Brian, you had your console out? I made the mistake of removing brackets without marking them for Dynamat. Also it doesn't help I installed a different console. It was a can-of-worms experience and held-up the carpet install.”

John, yes, I had EVERYTHING out of mine except the headliner. Lol. Kind of snowballed a bit. I was careful to photograph and mark everything but still was a difficult job. I had everything in and out more times than I care to remember. 

Keep going. You’ll get it 

Dennis, 3-pieces of carpet. The rear 1st, then the console followed by both front pieces and finally the kick panels.

If your console is in-place, just loosen it, remove the rear ashtray and slip the rear piece under the console.

John B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1