WTB: 63-64 Park Lamp Lower Covers

Vin63

On 4/1/2020 at 3:26 PM, RivNut said:

Sorry, when you said "lamp cover" I figured you were wanting to cover a lamp.

Ed, another case in our language when a word has different meanings. For instance the Brits and Australians use the word globe to mean what we know as a light bulb. Then there are flower bulbs. The context in the way a word is used is important. I’ve found everyday people are talking and even more so, writing to one another yet miserably failing to communicate. 
Turbinator

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2020 at 8:31 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Ever since I started developing a vocabulary people have been telling me to quit playing with my words.

Bernie

Say what you mean, mean what you say. Good communications makes for hard writing. No sense in banging your head against a dead horse.

Turbinator

11 hours ago, Grimy said:

Bernie, a metaphor is like a simile, only different...  🙂

I’ve read the Danish language is the hardest language to master. If the Danish language is the most difficult to master the English language is the second most difficult to learn.

Turbinator

• Like 1

I know that from having taught ESL students that English is difficult. (It's even harder to type using a tablet with predictive text and auto spell correction.) But according to Babble, English is not in the top 10 - Danish is 6th, Mandarin is 1st.  Most of my students wanted to use one sound for each combination of letters.  I think that I blew a couple minds when I wrote out 7 different sounds for words ending in 'ough.'  

"That's why they are called sight words! Now get out those flash cards and get to work!" - Mr. Raner. 😠

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

I know that from having taught ESL students that English is difficult. (It's even harder to type using a tablet with predictive text and auto spell correction.) But according to Babble, English is not in the top 10 - Danish is 6th, Mandarin is 1st.  Most of my students wanted to use one sound for each combination of letters.  I think that I blew a couple minds when I wrote out 7 different sounds for words ending in 'ough.'  

"That's why they are called sight words! Now get out those flash cards and get to work!" - Mr. Raner. 😠

Ed, is the Cantonese language the same level difficulty as Mandarin to learn? Maybe Cantonese is a dialect of Mandarin?

Turbinator

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, is the Cantonese language the same level difficulty as Mandarin to learn? Maybe Cantonese is a dialect of Mandarin?

Turbinator

Cantonese and Mandorin along with a bunch of others are all considered dialects of the "Chinese" language.  Kind of depends on where you were born as to what you speak.  I don't  know if there's any commonality.  Probably kind of like a Frenchman or an American trying to fully understand Cajun.  I took basic training with a Cajun. Man what a hoot.  You understood about 3 of every 5 words he said but somehow you got his meaning.  He could speak "American English" but everybody got a kick out of his Cajun so he'd speak it.  Drove the DI's crazy.

Ed, I’m certain the crazy Cajun had some stuff. My brother, may he Rest In Peace, moved to Louzeeanna years ago. I could hear what he was saying and at times I had to transliterate what he meant. In Maryland the older guys refer to mobile homes as house trailers. My brother calls a mobile home a trailer house.

English, the language that begs for accurate translation.

Turbinator

PS ONE time I thought “ learnt” was an illiteracy. I found the Brits use the word “ learnt” as acceptable English. One never knows, do one?