Renewing Dick Lamphere's 1930 145 sedan

sunnybaba

I don't know if anyone here on this site is interested in what I am doing with Dick's old, well used 1930 Franklin sedan.... This past fall I bought it from his grandson, Cord Lamphere...... who had gotten it from his father Dave Lamhpere, (Dick's son)..... It was sanded down to bare metal, and had surface rust forming on it, all the interior including windows and window channels, door handles, etc... were striped out of it.  It had 6 newly powder coated wire wheels , with 6 hub caps and new 6 ply tires, tubes and flaps. It was running real good and had all new brakes installed

I have sanded it back down to bare metal, primed it with self etching primer, and gave it 4 coats of fresh paint... (colors that I like, Matte finish.... not gloss or original factory colors)..... I guess this is where I need to let you know that I am not even trying to bring this car back to original showroom condition.... I simply don't have the money to attempt a 'restoration'...... My income is, at the official U.S. poverty level......  But that does not need to stop me from enjoying the repair, renewal and enjoyment of owning and Driving a vintage automobile...  I have to do all the work myself, because I can not afford to pay someone else to do it for me....

So this old car, with 234,709 miles on it is now running very strong...... It had a new rebuilt engine installed 43,000 miles ago, which has inserts in the rod bearings, a milled head giving it a 6to1 compression ratio  ... and giving it 106 Hp .... when first started it puts out a little blue smoke until it warms up, then it is smoke free.... it has a Franklin T77-1 4 speed transmission in it..... and  it runs at 50 to 60 MPH all day long.... and gets 13.5 mpg

compression checked at 104, 114, 119, 115, 114, 109  Not bad for a 90 year old, well used car

I took the roof rack off and filled the mounting holes... ( it has a re-enforced roof of 1" oak covered with galvanized metal)  Dick used to carry over 1,000 lbs of camping gear on the roof, for his long distance camping/fishing trips up into Canada and Alaska.   I am in the process of re upholstering it with Real leather (not original, but I like the look and feel of real leather seats)... The seats and some of the kick/side panels are done... door panels are next....

I put in a all new exhaust pipe (2.5") muffler and tailpipe (2") ... so it breathes better and sounds like an Airplane.... Dick Pratt did a beautiful job of rebuilding the steering box..... and now it tracks straight and doesn't wander at all.

I am rebuilding the headlights, and installing new reflectors and those LED headlight bulbs discussed here on this forum ..... I am working with the many gauges and switches that Dick installed and trying to simplify.... the instruments and gauges.... (not back to original... but still able to read the engine performance, and engine needs.  I hope some of you can appreciate the way it is being Re-Newed and brought back to a  maintained, usable,  DRIVE-ABLE condition..... on a bare bones budget..... Enjoy it ......     I sure am 😊     You don't need to be a Rich man to enjoy the hobby    

DSC07050.JPG

DSC07051.JPG

DSC07045.JPG

DSC07044.JPG

DSC07047.JPG

DSC07046.JPG

DSC07052.JPG

DSC07048.JPG

DSC07049.JPG

DSC07053.JPG

DSC07054.JPG

DSC07055.JPG

DSC07056.JPG

DSC07057.JPG

No, John, I wasn't aware of that.....This car might be a Transcontinental Sedan, because it has the smaller headlight lenses (11 1/4" instead of the 12 1/8" of the 145) The carpet was put in by Dick..... I will probably change it later, use it for a pattern. Did this car ever have the name Franklin on the front grill or on the crank hole cover.... other than on the hub caps..?  if so I would love to have one to put on it...

On 3/24/2020 at 4:41 PM, sunnybaba said:

No, John, I wasn't aware of that.....This car might be a Transcontinental Sedan, because it has the smaller headlight lenses (11 1/4" instead of the 12 1/8" of the 145) The carpet was put in by Dick..... I will probably change it later, use it for a pattern. Did this car ever have the name Franklin on the front grill or on the crank hole cover.... other than on the hub caps..?  if so I would love to have one to put on it...

The reason why I mentioned the leather interiors is that you may want to ask for some pictures of one from a Transcontinental and then finish rest of your unfinished interior work to match.

Someone should have the script for the grill - it was an option for 1930 (and 1931) and you can tell if car had one as it would have tow holes drilled in the shell at like 10"o'clock and 11:50 o'Olock - but to add one you just get out the drill and ....  Dave Bell reproduced them in brass for years and someone should have one they never mounted - I would just polish them up in brass and install.  There was a script on eBay, but it was a little pricey.  

Crank hole covers are a challenge. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:16 AM, sunnybaba said:

Yes, thank you hook........ If anybody has either one of the Franklin insignia, used, for sale, please let me know. (Mike West..??)

Member Hank Manwell tracked down the foundry in Syracuse that cast those Franklin Scripts for the factory. Luckily, they still had the molds. Hank had a bunch cast and plated and they sold out at a Trek. Wish I'd bought more.

Contact Hank, he may be able to have another run of them made ???

You can also talk to him about the beautiful job he's doing restoring his 1930 Oxford Sedan, which is what Franklin called their closed cars with leather interiors.

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Paul... do you remember what you paid for one of those Franklin Scripts..?   The reason I ask is, someone is selling them, new, on Ebay for $185 each plus $15 shipping........ I thought that was a bit pricey .... 

I am hoping to get one for much less than that......  In a way it is fun to watch people walk all around it, trying to guess what make of car it is.... 🙄

oops I goofed! That is not the correct Franklin script for 1930-1933 Franklins that is on Ebay. It is not designed or made to fit the 1930+ Franklin grill shell.

Check it out with the picture of my car that I previously posted. If you find one like that one that is correct, you'd be lucky to get it for $185.00.

Edited by hook
more info (see edit history)

1 hour ago, sunnybaba said:

Paul... do you remember what you paid for one of those Franklin Scripts..?   The reason I ask is, someone is selling them, new, on Ebay for $185 each plus $15 shipping........ I thought that was a bit pricey .... 

I am hoping to get one for much less than that......  In a way it is fun to watch people walk all around it, trying to guess what make of car it is.... 🙄

As I remember it Hank charged me $40.00 each. Which those being  high quality castings and already plated, I thought was a surprisingly low price, even way back then. Just the polishing and plating of such a brass sand casting  could cost that much, or more.

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Looks like the ebay one sold in January 

Vintage-Ultra-Rare-1900-039-s-Franklin-Emblem-Trim-Decal-Metal-Hood-Grille-Ornament

• Vintage-Ultra-Rare-1900-039-s-Franklin-Emblem-Trim-Decal-Metal-Hood-Grille-Ornament thumbnail 1
  •  

Vintage Ultra Rare 1900's Franklin Emblem Trim Decal Metal Hood Grille Ornament

Condition:
Used

Normal Wear

Sold for:
US $375.00
Shipping:
$9.60 Standard Shipping | See details

Item location:
Nicolaus, California, United States

I just need any metal Franklin script.... I can modify it to mount, where ever I decide to mount it.... just the word 'Franklin'  so.. the common man can see the name of the make of the car...  

It doesn't need to be cast bronze or brass.... it can be unplated and unpolished... I will make it look nice... anybody in the Franklin club, have anything metal that says."Franklin"...???    whether it is 3 inches ling or 6 inches or even 9 inches long... I can make it work...  Anybody have anything for sale that would work...?   But I am NOT going to pay $185 for the name Franklin............ I could buy a New 6 ply tire for it, for that price.......

On 3/30/2020 at 5:21 PM, sunnybaba said:

I just need any metal Franklin script.... I can modify it to mount, where ever I decide to mount it.... just the word 'Franklin'  so.. the common man can see the name of the make of the car...  

It doesn't need to be cast bronze or brass.... it can be unplated and unpolished... I will make it look nice... anybody in the Franklin club, have anything metal that says."Franklin"...???    whether it is 3 inches ling or 6 inches or even 9 inches long... I can make it work...  Anybody have anything for sale that would work...?   But I am NOT going to pay $185 for the name Franklin............ I could buy a New 6 ply tire for it, for that price.......

Backtrack: It is designed as a casting and to mount in a certain way to allow movement on the grill shell louvers - start a new post and ask for a brass reproduction by Hank or Dave Bell (the reproductions are out there as guarantee you more have been sold than ever mounted)

As to the crank hole cover - that will be a longer term problem = very difficult part to find 

Thanks John,  In New Mexico, you don't need a front license plate... so I might mount what ever I find, on that cross bar in front of the grill......... Does ANYBODY, have a Franklin script, produced by Hank or Dave Bell, For Sale at a reasonable price...???

On 3/31/2020 at 6:28 PM, sunnybaba said:

Thanks John,  In New Mexico, you don't need a front license plate... so I might mount what ever I find, on that cross bar in front of the grill......... Does ANYBODY, have a Franklin script, produced by Hank or Dave Bell, For Sale at a reasonable price...???

Start a totally new post - word will travel: "Wanted Reproduction 1930 -1931 Franklin Grill Shell Script" made by Hank Manwell or Dave Bell"

Then post a picture of your car so people know what you are going to do with it. 

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Start a totally new post - word will travel: "Wanted Reproduction 1930 -1931 Franklin Grill Shell Script" made by Frank "Hank" Hantak or Dave Bell"

Then post a picture of your car so people know what you are going to do with it. 

FYI. just to be clear, it was Hank Manwell that had a run of scripts cast from the original mold. Not the late Frank Hantak.   It was the depression, sales were halving every year and they scripts weren't a popular accessory when the cars were new, so like many items in the Franklin accessories  catalog, they are very rare. And Hank didn't have many cast. 

Might be less expensive to contact Hank directly and see if he can have another run of castings made.

Or, get some sheet brass and a fretsaw and spend an afternoon at the work bench.

Paul

2 minutes ago, PFitz said:

FYI. just to be clear, it was Hank Manwell that had a run of scripts cast from the original mold. Not the late Frank Hantak.   It was the depression, sales were halving every year and they scripts weren't a popular accessory when the cars were new, so like many items in the Franklin accessories  catalog, they are very rare. And Hank didn't have many cast. 

Might be less expensive to contact Hank directly and see if he can have another run of castings made.

Or, get some sheet brass and a fretsaw and spend an afternoon at the work bench.

Paul

I wondered where the Hank was coming from - saw the post from Hook. 

5 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Also, someone made the badge that would be an accessory that mounts on the top of the license plate mount - aluminum castings.  I want to say it has an airplane at each end in a circle and says Franklin in the middle. 

Are you thinking of the one that says  Forges Forward under the Franklin?  Joe Aronson did that one.

Gordon Howard

On 4/2/2020 at 7:36 PM, f147pu said:

Are you thinking of the one that says  Forges Forward under the Franklin?  Joe Aronson did that one.

Gordon Howard

No, but those " Franklin Forges Forward" badges are cool too (I do not know the story behind them though)  - the badges I had were made of cast aluminum and had the 30 Airplane logo on each end with Franklin in letters in block in between (they are the width of a California license plate) - polished aluminum raised with a black pebble grain background -  I bought several at Hershey one year, though have since sold as they did not look nice on car as Ohio used a smaller size license plate (it was prior to our being able to use year of manufacture plates).