quarter panel spears and shift console base plate

dr914

Those are very nice, George.

FYI to any potential buyer, Buick moved the mounting clip positions out toward the ends of the spears in '64. These will not work on a '63 because the holes are in the wrong place, and were not used on the '65.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrownedRiv said:

The prong spacing for the last two is different for top and bottom on the 64. Narrower spacing for the top, wider spacing for the bottom.

20190518_152151.jpg

20190518_152203.jpg

Yes, there is a top and bottom which fit the contour of the body...but there was also a change in the prong location for each...cant recall if the prongs were changed on both top and bottom or just one but common sense would dictate it was both.

Tom

18 minutes ago, DrownedRiv said:

On my 64,  only the last two prongs have different spacing...this pic shows it better...

20170826_141507.jpg

Yes, that is the difference between top and bottom but notice the last prong on each is at the end of the molding...the first/early versions of the moldings had the end prongs located away from the end which allowed car wash brushes, etc to grab the molding ends and break them off. The second/later versions moved the prongs to the end of the moldings.

Tom

27 minutes ago, RivNut said:

There are four distinct part numbers for a complete set of four horse shoe moldings. 

Ed,

I dont think that is correct. My recollection is the top moldings are interchangeable left to right and the bottom moldings are interchangeable left and right. That would be two part numbers to service both sides.

Tom

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ed,

I dont think that is correct. My recollection is the top moldings are interchangeable left to right and the bottom moldings are interchangeable left and right. That would be two part numbers to service both sides.

Tom

I have a few sets for both 63 and 64.  For whatever reason, I was thinking that Gene G. told me that bit of info.  Thinking about it, it could be that there are four numbers, two for 63 and two for 64.  I'll take a look tomorrow (if I can remember where I stashed them.)  

Ed, now you got it. There are four different numbers. Two for 63 and two for 64. The only difference is the location of the first spade. They both have nine spades. The reason I was told or read I do not remember. The 63 moldings had the first spade a little further back on the molding. When washing or drying the car a rag would slip behind the molding and break it, hence in the 64 model the first spade was placed at the tip of the molding. I hope this helps. Gene. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

I have a few sets for both 63 and 64.  For whatever reason, I was thinking that Gene G. told me that bit of info.  Thinking about it, it could be that there are four numbers, two for 63 and two for 64.  I'll take a look tomorrow (if I can remember where I stashed them.)  

Yes, that makes sense. Note also that there is a distinction between "casting" numbers and "part" numbers. A casting number appears on the part itself and a part number is a listing in a parts book. Sometimes the numbers are the same but most often they are not. Sometimes the numbers are close and other times there is no similarity.

Ed, my guess would be that in this thread you are referencing casting numbers which appear on the part...and not the actual part numbers. I`m curious to find if Buick changed the part number when the parts were revised. Sometimes when they revise a part they will carry on the same part number and other times a new part number supercedes the original. It would be interesting to know what logic drove the part numbering system....if any,

Tom