1922 Light SIx Touring King Pins

My kingpins were worn at the bottom but the top of the pins and bushings were fine.  I turned the bottom of the pins down to true them up and made the lower bushings out of a high alloy bronze.  They only come out from the top now but that has no affect on functionality.  I don't recall the alloy number but could probably find it if you wanted to go that route.

DSC07727.thumb.JPG.c181e4b1f6916e0dff43cd635e386672.JPG

George,

I'll check on the pins, I have a couple aftermarket sets that came in the metal boxes, one set if for Erskine and the other is Studebaker, just not sure of the model or year right now. I'll look when I get back home.

Also I'm pretty sure I have some of the thrust washers with the four groves if you need them.

Edited by stude24 (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, Stude Light said:

My kingpins were worn at the bottom but the top of the pins and bushings were fine.  I turned the bottom of the pins down to true them up and made the lower bushings out of a high alloy bronze.  They only come out from the top now but that has no affect on functionality.  I don't recall the alloy number but could probably find it if you wanted to go that route.

DSC07727.thumb.JPG.c181e4b1f6916e0dff43cd635e386672.JPG

Very smart.

what diameter are your king pins? that's where I usually start, and see if there is another kingpin kit for a newer (40s, 50s vehicle for example), that I could start with, even if I had to make bronze bushings from scratch.  the kingpin kits for a more common vehicle are usually fairly reasonably priced.   I need to do kingpin work on my Erskine, so sizes of pins is where im going to have to start.

terry

From post further up...I used bronze alloy 954 from McMaster-Carr.  Bought the round stock and machined it in my 1923 Dalton lathe (same year as my car so I considered it an "authentic" aftermarket part 😉)

IMG_1099.thumb.jpg.8d86b0644cbe2338c476b18b5957eceb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the advice!

It appears as if my machinist is going to make new pins, with updated grease design. He will turn new bushings with alloy from McMaster-Carr, I am not sure if he picked the same alloy.  He is still discussing the hardness with the heat treat company. The old pin measures hardness at Rockwell C55. 

My pins were worn at the top and bottom, so I couldn't use Stude Light great trick. 

Dan, I can use 2 or 4 of those special washers, as I do have a lot of play up and down. I can get by with what I have;  if I need to, but you would  save my machinist from having to shave down my existing, well worn ones, and also would require more shims. Let me know when you know or will get to know. Pic is attached so you know dimensions. I have some that are much larger diameter, that are for the Special and Big Six models. 

Terry, I also thought of what other pins could be used, but, there is nothing that I could find that comes close enough to attempt.

Thanks again!

washera.jpg.7b2dbc928d9d57cdcdb7cbe36d086430.jpg

George,

Here is a photo of the lower LIght Six thrust washers, they measures roughly 1.70 od and .695 id. I have 13 of these.

I also found 2 130786 keyed washer with 1.81 od and .775 id, bigger but might work (photo attached), also have similar, but larger ones for Big & Special Sixes.Lightsixwashers.jpg.1edc98d2adb57c5ac6e981ae48184fa3.jpg130786washer.jpg.94114aadfd2c5f91a70e1b95e87237ac.jpgErskinekingpins.jpg.ff506c9cad075c350d0a29fc6b65dbbd.jpgDictatorkingpins.jpg.8a6bff797a8f4ea6688a17a6ec244dbd.jpgBigsixwashers.jpg.7b1c9ec02dc85eec60e61375f10658d7.jpg

The king pins sets were for 1927-1929 Erskine and 1926-1930 Dictator Six (what it says on the box).

Dan, I am thinking that I would like 4 of the lower ones, and the 2 keyed ones. I will talk to my machinist tomorrow, to make sure he wouldn't like 6. I will get back to you. Please email me at georgr@ptd.net to discuss specifics. I don't think that I can use the kingpins, but I sure appreciate you looking!