1937 Fuel Pump

Two things: 

1. Today, driving in my Coupe Express, it started running poorly then just quit. I pulled over to the side, perplexed, and decided to turn the switched electric fuel pump on. It ran, and engine

restarted immediately . So is my fairly new NOS regular fuel pump shot?
2. I got home stopped to open garage door, and fuel was coming out of float bowl. So is the electric pump too strong?
can I get a regulator to turn it’s pressure down?

Thanks all, as usual. 

11 hours ago, drdon said:

... is my fairly new NOS regular fuel pump shot?

If it really was NOS, decades old and never used prior, it probably just needs the seals and diaphragm renewed. New materials are also more compatible with today's gasoline.

The mechanical pump shouldn’t make too much pressure: cars with mech pumps and carbs didn’t have regulators. Your electric pump might make 15 psig, too much for the carb, so put the regulator on the outlet of the electric pump. 

It’s still a little strange that the float and needle didn’t shut off the flow. If you had a modern, but not recent, needle with a rubber tip, it may have degraded. Check the float level, too. 

13 hours ago, drdon said:

So is my fairly new NOS regular fuel pump shot?

If it is NOS I wouldn't trust it across town without a new diaphragm.

A 30s Buick I know of, stored since 52, only made it a few blocks. The diaphragm inside was a whole bunch of layers of thin cloth that appeared to have been doped with something, probably a shellac compound. Traces of the doping were only present where the edges of the diaphragm were clamped under the rim. All layers of the cloth had been washed completely clean, and the gas was literally pouring through it. Alcohol is the solvent for shellac. There was no alcohol in gasoline in 1952, but there sure is now. I would expect if the diaphragm is rubber instead of cloth it would not be alcohol resistant either, and probably also perished from age.