Patching up a Spotlite Hole?

Daves1940Buick56S

All:

My 1938 66S has a spotlite. This was not original to the car and was added sometime after 1979. I would like to remove it if I can get the holes patched properly. The hole in the windshield garnish molding can be filles when I get it re-woodgrained next month. The body is another question. Pic attached. I am not sure what the paint is. I have a chip of it (it came from the white spot in the pic), it is 0.01" thick. It does not dissolve or deform in any way in lacquer thinner. Maybe urethane? It looks so good I thought it might be lacquer but no. Assuming I can nail down the paint, do you think I can get the holes filled and this small area painted and have it look good? It is difficult to get a good photo as the body color is black.

2121548044_20200222_1648141.thumb.jpg.a32338e758608e866ad449a7a2f26b86.jpg

Today I took a piece of the paint chip and put it in acetone. I though for sure that would dissolve it. Nope! I left it in for several hrs and nothing. Definitely urethane? One thing I have not done is to try and type of cleaner wax, I just used straight wax after I got it. I will try it on a hidden area and see if any color appears on the rag. If not - maybe it's clear coat?

It would be easy for a good body man to sand that to bare metal and TIG weld in a plug patch. The screw holes are small enough to be welded shut without patching. That is a permanent fix. Matching black is not too difficult and if it's blended in properly it would be hard to see. 

18 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Make certain there is no wiring in the "A" post that might be affected by the heat of welding.

You might consider fiberglass patch

Good comment on checking for wiring. Fiberglass is an abomination and should NEVER be used in patching metal. I have seen way too many chicken wire, bondo and fiberglass repairs in my life already. New welding technology has put MIG and TIG machines in the hands of hobbyists. Learn to weld or pay a professional. That patch is a sub-$100 fix not including paint match. It can be butt welded and 95%+ metal finished before primer and paint. 

I have a Corvair that has a fiberglass repair/patch at the base of the windshield done over 40 years ago and there is no

evidence of the repair.... there is also no heat to warp the steel.

• Thanks 1