How do you convince someone to sell a car?

31plymouth

I have been on the other side of this one. Quite a few years ago I had a heavy patina MGA that was my 8 months a year daily driver. When I bought it I gave it a mechanical go through and just oiled the latches and hinges, made sure everything on the dash worked etc. But it was somewhat down at the heels , body , paint , interior even then.

Then I drove it for the next 15 years , doing any necessary mechanical upkeep, but not touching the visuals. I have always stored it during salt season so not that rusty { as MGA's go}.

A fellow who owned a business in the same complex as where I worked wanted it. Eventually offered at least twice what it was realistically  worth but I always said no. 

My reasoning was that if I sold I would then have to find another one that was a decent car but at a price I could afford. Not such an easy task by then { mid 1990's } . Nice restored cars were definitely available but far more than I could spend, and lots of quite rusty ones in my general price range. But very few budget priced , sound from a rust 

point of view ones available in my part of the world.  I did not at that time have anywhere the resources needed to source one from the American South West.

I advised the would be buyer to look around and buy a more expensive ; he could afford it, " better "car.  Eventually he did.

And all these later I still have mine, 1978 - present. Still a bit of a beater , but definitely part of the family. It's been in storage for the last decade but will definitely see the road again under my ownership, baring an asteroid strike.

Greg in Canada

Often the first person on scene never gets the car.  If you low-ball you stand a chance of getting shown the door forever.  Insincerity, gets you no where.  

Ask some real serious questions to yourself as to why they have the car to begin with and why they do not want to sell it.  

By the way, I know of stuff sitting and I know the reason too - they are too elderly to deal with cleaning out clutter in front of it, they like me and know the car has serious mechanical issues, they lost the title, they have no need for the money,  they have no interest in dealing with a sale, they always wanted it themselves, and the list goes on and on. 

As a sidenote:  I dropped out of one of our local clubs (after 15 years membership) as all everyone did was ask me to sell my car - first - I hunted for the car for several years, then second - I dropped a ton of money in it after purchase (and I purposely paid too much money for the car as it was exactly what I wanted and maybe there are another 10 on globe that are better or equal - far higher caliber than all the other survivors), then third  - their offers are annoying at 1/3 its FMV value on any given day, and there are a few other reasons too.

By the way, when it came time to buy the 1932 RR PI Springfield it was a little easier that my business card was in each glove box and also sitting on the front floor.  

Persistence may pay off.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Spent one anxious summer as a teen attempting to get a local, original owner of a 56 chevy to sell.  Got Dad on board, had $$, when moment of truth came, no joy.  Owner described the car (which he was doing nothing with) like old slippers, worn but comfortable - he just couldn't sell.  Heartbroken, I ended up with a camaro but bought the 56 five years later.  In the interim, someone else wrestled it away, got laid off and needed money.  Its a longer story of chance discovery as the car was not even listed yet, ideal timing.  Sometimes you need to buy from the next guy!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I generally agree with Matt.  Two have gone overseas, another couple out of state.  All good with me.

One guy though, who was local said the usual "when I finish this I will come by" and he actually did.  He sunk huge money into a TR-6 I had in good, but basically original driver condition.  He said he knew what he was getting into with a British car and came by to show it off, not to assault me.  I was happy to see what he had done with it.

I absolutely want them to stay nearby. I almost never sold unless I really needed the money. Usually for more school or something like buying a house. Once those situations cleared up I nearly always wanted a chance to buy back.  Never seems to happen however. People have a habit of dumping huge sums into the cars I sell on frills.  { cosmetics }

And then want at least 75% of the investment back. Puts the car out of my price range. I only want and am prepared to pay for "driver "class cosmetics. As long as all is tickety boo under the skin, I am happy with scruffy.  I like to drive my cars, and I have no time for trailer queens. 

Greg in Canada

On 2/26/2020 at 12:02 PM, ron hausmann said:

While it might take a couple years, plant the seed about doing something for your grandchildren rather than having a pile of nothing hidden in a garage. Guilt works. I’ve gotten three Kissels that way. Let the old guy know you are interested, call every few months, talk about “doing something” for the grandchildren before it’s too late, and sooner or later they will sell. Logic will prevail in the end. One car took three years before the cave occurred.

Unfortunately this same logic does get self-applied sooner or later. I’m finding Now that I need to start selling some of my own stuff!

Ron

Do you like Kissels?