Question Regarding Oldsmobile and the Carter Car Starter

JD in KC

So a fellow on another venue has a question regarding a 'wrong' carburetor on his Packard.  The carburetor is a Carter WGD 2015S.  Looking up what information I could find about this carburetor, it appears it's for an Oldsmobile maybe 1951-53.  The thing is, it has a Carter Car Starter switch.  For many  years I have been under the impression that only Packard and Buick used the gas pedal starter method.  

My question is... did Oldsmobile also us the same Carter Car Starter?

No, Oldsmobile did not use the same Carter Car Starter. 1951 Olds had a dashboard ignition on switch with a separate starter button beside it. 1952 and 1953 Olds had a starter-ignition switch together like the later cars had. A WGD2015S does not have a starter switch from what I can find in my Carter Parts Catalog. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JD in KC said:

For many  years I have been under the impression that only Packard and Buick used the gas pedal starter method.

Pontiac Eights had Buick's gas pedal starting system in the mid 30s. I don't know how long Pontiac kept using it.

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

Pontiac Eights had Buick's gas pedal starting system in the mid 30s. I don't know how long Pontiac kept using it.

Pontiac used a starter switch button on the floor next to the accelerator pedal for the last time in 1932.

In 1933 Pontiac  with it's new straight eight engine ( ALL 33 & 34 Pontiac's are straight eights) which used bearing shell inserts for Main, Rod, and cam instead of Babbitt poured bearings,  Pontiac started using a dash mounted starter button and separate ignition switch which was used until the end of 1952.

In 1953 Pontiac went to "Key Quick" automatic ignition which we are all familiar with today.  

1935, and 1936 Pontiac Eights have Buick-style autostart (step on the gas pedal to start). The 1935-36 Pontiac shop manual dedicates a page and a half to adjusting it. Aristech has posted a picture of his 1936 Deluxe Eight engine compartment showing the vacuum switch, as well as pictures of his starter solenoid (that he is looking to replace). It has the little relay in the back like a Buick.

I had the privilege of driving a 1937 Eight at the 2019 Flathead Reunion. It had autostart. Looking through my pictures from the 2018 Flathead Reunion, there was a 1934 Eight present that had the vacuum switch as well.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Bloo said:

1935, and 1936 Pontiac Eights have Buick-style autostart (step on the gas pedal to start). The 1935-36 Pontiac shop manual dedicates a page and a half to adjusting it. Aristech has posted a picture of his 1936 Deluxe Eight engine compartment showing the vacuum switch, as well as pictures of his starer solenoid (that he is looking to replace). It has the little relay in the back like a Buick.

I had the privilege of driving a 1937 Eight at the 2019 Flathead Reunion. It had autostart. Looking through my pictures from the 2018 Flathead Reunion, there was a 1934 Eight present that had the vacuum switch as well.

Just where is it on this stock 1935 Pontiac:

69453489-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

57 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Is what the same car? 

Is the blue car the same car as the 1935 Dash picture?

The last picture appears to be a Six.

1933 could very well have had a starter button for all I know. My 1935-36 shop manual shows the Buick-style autostart setup for all eights, and mechanical engagement via a pedal for all sixes.

My 1936 Six has mechanical starter engagement via a pedal. It has a round pedal sticking through the firewall pad, up and to the left of the gas pedal. There was a 1935 Six at both the 2018 and 2019 Flathead Reunions. It had the same starter pedal setup as my Six.

There were a 1937 Eight and a 1937 SIx at the 2019 Flathead Reunion. The Eight had autostart, and the Six did not.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Bloo said:

Is the blue car the same car as the 1935 Dash picture?

The last picture appears to be a Six.

1933 could very well have had a starter button for all I know. My 1935-36 shop manual shows the Buick-style autostart setup for all eights, and mechanical engagement via a pedal for all sixes.

My 1936 Six has mechanical starter engagement via a pedal. It has a round pedal sticking through the firewall pad, up and to the left of the gas pedal. There was a 1935 Six at both the 2018 and 2019 Flathead Reunions. It had the same starter pedal setup as my Six.

There were a 1937 Eight and a 1937 SIx at the 2019 Flathead Reunion. The Eight had autostart, and the Six did not.

The blue one is a 35, the last picture was a 35 Six

Edited by Pfeil
wrong picture (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What I found out; In 35 all eights were equipped with auto start. Auto start doesn't belong on a 33 or 34. Sixes don't get it.

Also, many cars (pre 35 eights) that weren't supposed to have it now have them and conversely many cars ( eights) after 35 don't have them. I wonder how that would effect judging?? 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)