34 Dictator Rear Axle seals.

Just finished  inspecting, assembling  and rigging the rear axle for my 34 Dictator Coupe. All bearing gs are in good shape except the axle bearings which I can locally source. The seals on the other hand are long gone. I need the axle shaft seals (listed as leather) and the pinion shaft seal. 

Anyone have a source for NOS , new or has anyone used a modern rubber seal if I can find one that matches the size application I need. Ive searched the usual Stude International etc but none make seals for mine. 

Thanks for the help. I'll post up PN when I get home later if that helps. 

20200216_112400.jpg

20200216_112430.jpg

I am not sure if I have one of those shops but there are local dealers that deal in seals, bearings and industrial supplies that I can find something. All of the seals will be hidden from view so it should not affect the level of authenticity I am hoping to achieve but original design would be my first choice.

If you put modern seals in an axle that did not have them originally, you may need to add a vent. Some cars with old felt or leather seals never had a vent in the axle. With no place for air to escape, oil will blow out, under pressure.

Sometimes old seals are made of two snap-together halves that can be pried apart and you can make a new piece of leather or felt. A bearing store can probably find modern lip seals to fit if that is what you want.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks. That is what I am thinking if I cannot find originals. I have considered making seals if I can get some info from the Studebaker museum. They apparently have engineering drawings for many parts. If I can get size and material specs from them it might be possible and actually fun making some.  

Getting the drawings for the parts from the Studebaker National Museum is a good start.  The drawings should show the part numbers for the original manufacturer's part numbers.  There are cross reference books for these.  The cork seals can probably be replaced by seals cut from #1 Felt once you know the i.d., o.d., and thickness.  I've used pieces of copper pipe and exhaust tubing with sharpened edges to cut seal rings.  There should be a modern seal replacement for the leather seal.

felt_seals_press.thumb.jpg.fd0c689edb620c91ec6d281dd0345539.jpg

On 2/19/2020 at 5:50 PM, Albtrossca said:

510729 is Victor 34179

510735  is Victor  35503

Call OLCAR at  910-693-3324 they have an amazing stock of seals like that.

https://mystudebaker.com/driveline/studebaker-rear-axle-shafts-axle-bearings-races-parts/ stocks some of these.

I just checked on OLCAR and they are not answering 

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

Thanks Gary.

I found a lip ring rubber seal to fit the axle. I may have to turn down the axle a little bit. I will know better when the seals come in and I can trial fit it together. Looking at the axle and what the felt does and what the leather does, I don't think I need to install felt and a rubber seal. Just the rubber seal. 

A week and the bearings and seal will be in so I can install it all. I can not wait! 

7 hours ago, rbk said:

Call OLCAR at  910-693-3324 they have an amazing stock of seals like that.

https://mystudebaker.com/driveline/studebaker-rear-axle-shafts-axle-bearings-races-parts/ stocks some of these.

I just checked on OLCAR and they are not answering 

Thanks Robert! You are an important resource for putting these cars together. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some great news and progress. Last week I went to our local bearing and seal supplier, Motion Canada, and ordered the axle bearings and sourced seals.

Today I installed the seals and they are a perfect fit! 

Removing the old seals was a bit of a challenge. The left side had 2. I'm guessing a previous owner just drove a second seal on top of the first when it started leaking . Just waiting for the bearings to come in and I'll finish assembly

• Like 1