1958 Buick Fan Belt

highcking

I am slowly getting my 58 Roadmaster back together. I've encountered an odd problem regarding the fan belt. The one that came with the car was obviously too short - almost impossible to install even with the generator at the end of the bracket. Today I received a replacement from Cars LLC. It's stamped GM 1180978 which is correct, though it's obviously a repro. But it's the same length! Note that my engine is original to the car and appears to be in stock condition.

Every 58 Buick I've seen in person or in pics shows the generator mounted about 2/3 of the way towards the fender wall. This is important because that position holds the belt away from the fuel pump. I have a correct AC pump on the car. In the pictures below you see the new belt mounted with reasonable tension, the generator against the right hand stop, and the belt rubbing against the fuel pump. I had to take out the adjustment bolt just to get the belt on. 

What gives? This car was originally an air suspension car but I don't see how that would affect the fan belt mounting. Why do you think the "correct" belt is too short?

Bill

Luray, VA

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

By a thread. With the car running and the belt vibrating a bit, I think it would shred. The generator is only a half inch or so from the righthand stop. This does not seem correct based on my research and my memory of a previous '58. It should be slanted towards the fender wall.

Understood. Your bracket and arm look correct.  The belt that was on the engine was too short as well.  I'm not sure why.    Perhaps take the belt you have to the local parts store and have it measured. Then find a suitable belt that is a inch or two longer in their inventory.     

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 9:44 PM, highcking said:

What gives? This car was originally an air suspension car but I don't see how that would affect the fan belt mounting. Why do you think the "correct" belt is too short?

Bill

Bill,

Wondering how you made out on a new belt?

Have to say I had the same problem on my order too with one belt being too short for the generator when I changed out my water pump and decided to put on new belts and such.

IMG_4185.thumb.JPG.c04cb79ae55c55311a98c447c5d6ca65.JPG

Granted I have a Special vs your Roadmaster but dimensionally the block, fuel pump and generator are all the same.

I ended going to our Auto Parts store and bought a Dayco you see in the photo which works quite well  allowing the clearance required.

1605047960_IMG_4251-Copy(2).JPG.757a4444e675deee09e3a5fa41b0276c.JPG

Trust you are getting things back together.

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Doug - thanks for the photos! The 15530 (53") belt is just plain too short, can't be installed even with the generator all the way to the right end of the bracket. I tried a 15610 belt (61") and that's far too long. I'm now guessing that I need something like a 15545 belt (54.5"). Note that the "correct" PS belt fits just fine, but there's a lot of play in the pump mounting. As to why the 53" fan belt is a no-go, I guess it would almost have to be the fan pulley. My GM parts book lists five (yes 5!) different two-groove pulleys for 1958 Buick. Four are intended for AC cars which mine is not. However, if a later-year pulley or an AC pulley was put on a 1958 w/o AC, it would likely screw up the dimensions for the belt. It's not a big deal, just a nuisance and multiple trips to Auto Zone. 

Bill

10 hours ago, highcking said:

if a later-year pulley or an AC pulley was put on a 1958 w/o AC, it would likely screw up the dimensions for the belt. It's not a big deal, just a nuisance and multiple trips to Auto Zone. 

Well, that sounds like you are on to something there. I didn't know there were that many pulley offerings.

I will have to measure my Special and then measure my Limited and see if they are different. Both cars are non air conditioning cars with original factory motors so might be interesting to see what is what.