Brake Fluid Heads Up & Questions

Roadster90

Amazon has Castrol Dot 4 for about $1.90 a can !!

A couple of questions please:

I think Dot 4 is appropriate for both 90 and 91?

how much fluid is necessary for a change (complete) please or how many cans....I think 12 ounce cans are what are advertised at that price?

Thanks for any help !

Thanks 2seater....Long time since communicated - hope everything is great with you.  On the brake fluid....I have 3 Reatta to service (have neglected my cars for several years due to a move and other difficulties), and Amazon would not let me purchase but 6 -12 ounce cans.  I will have to look elsewhere to get appropriate amount of fluid - thanks again :), Nic

1 hour ago, Roadster90 said:

Thanks 2seater....Long time since communicated - hope everything is great with you.  On the brake fluid....I have 3 Reatta to service (have neglected my cars for several years due to a move and other difficulties), and Amazon would not let me purchase but 6 -12 ounce cans.  I will have to look elsewhere to get appropriate amount of fluid - thanks again :), Nic

Hey Nic, didn't recognize it was you.

I agree with Hal,  2 quarts is usually safe.

DOT 4 has better specs than DOT 3 but if you live in a high humidity area you should be changing it every 2-4 years

unless you get a good deal on DOT 4 why spend the extra $$

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, padgett said:

So you need a 1/2 gallon which is 2 2/3 12 oz cans. $1.90 can = $11.40/gal. Guess that is why they limit you to six at a time. What is the current thinking about DOT 3,4,5,5.1 for an '88 ?

Uh, might want to check the math. 2 2/3 cans is one quart? As far as I understand both dot 5 and 5.1 are silicone based fluid which is incompatible with our anti lock system. 

Quarts are way cheaper then buying 12 ounce bottles. I do have a couple of empty 12 ounce bottles that I pour my leftover fresh brake fluid into. Then a piece of plastic shopping bag plastic for a new seal on the bottle to keep the moisture out.

And I always buy Dot 3.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)