Buick thermometer 1920s

Hey Lamar, it is 1 inch deep by 6 inches in diameter. thanks for asking, that information will give a better perspective as to imagine how large it is.

Suffolk County is the eastern half of long island. The location of the two places mentioned was really rural in the 1920s when this was made , I am surprised it was ever made and given out due to the lack of population that could/would afford to buy a car. Note the phone numbers ! "2" that means that at that time there was only two phones in operation. All the phone lines at that time were above ground most likely sharing the pole the wires ran on with telegraph communication.

It is unusual to find automotive related items here on long island that date from the first half of the 20th century and have names of the dealerships etc on them. I have had this about 20 years, did a trade with a friend who had it hanging on the wall of his garage next to his brass era Locomobile and Simplex touring cars.

Walt

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2020 at 7:41 PM, Walt G said:

Thought some of you would enjoy seeing this

Walt

Buicktermometerdetail.jpg

Buicktermometer1.jpg

Love the Phone Numbers on these two items !

Thanks, Walt, for sharing these vintage thermometers.

Marty

I think it important to share what one may, and the AACA Forums now make this much easier to do. It alerts all to what was thought worthy to produce when the cars we love were new, be that 20 or 100 plus years ago.  Some people do not want to share what they have, perhaps feel 'superior' because they have what you don't and perhaps are interested in. I have absolutely no tolerance for people with that attitude , why not share and spread the joy! Make someone smile, we all need something to feel good about, even if it is an old thermometer that stopped functioning before we were born , a brass lamp that will need 10 hours of polishing and about $30 worth of polish to make it gleam again, or an instruction book on how to operate a car that hasn't been made since our grandparents were infants.

Walt 🙃

• Like 2

• 7 months later...