1936 Pontiac starter solenoid

aristech

Whats wrong with it? If it is just the copper bolts, you would have an easier time locating those.

I'll bet the solenoid is shared with some Buick, but I don't know which one. I recall nothing new available when I discovered a friend's 37 Roadmaster solenoid had one of its 2 windings burned out. He had to locate a used one and replace the copper bolts.

That solenoid in the second pic doesn't look right at all. For one thing, the mounting holes are elongated, for another there is no relay on top. Are you going to repair the automatic start feature? It is the same system used on Buicks, and needs the relay.

According to my 1937 Pontiac parts book the 1936 Ponitac 8 starter is #823881. The Delco number (according to the 1948 Delco catalog) is 727-S . The solenoid is Delco 1516 according to both sources. The relay is 1866750, and the cover is 1854151. Plate with copper contact bolts was 1853328, and Delco didn't list the bolts separately, but they would have been available in NORS aftermarket stuff. Solenoid rebuild kits were also available aftermarket, and can turn up on Ebay.

The 37 Buick is not identical after all, but after looking at your pictures, it is very similar. I suspect the missing relay cover would fit, as well as the solenoid contact bolts.

There are 2 windings in the solenoid. One goes from the small post to a large contact, and the other from the small post to ground. If neither one is burned out, the solenoid should be repairable.

More good sources of Pontiac parts are Kurt Kelsey (P.M. KornKurt on this forum), and also California Pontiac Restoration, (pontiacparts.net).

4 hours ago, Bloo said:

That solenoid in the second pic doesn't look right at all. For one thing, the mounting holes are elongated, for another there is no relay on top. Are you going to repair the automatic start feature? It is the same system used on Buicks, and needs the relay.

According to my 1937 Pontiac parts book the 1936 Ponitac 8 starter is #823881. The Delco number (according to the 1948 Delco catalog) is 727-S . The solenoid is Delco 1516 according to both sources. The relay is 1866750, and the cover is 1854151. Plate with copper contact bolts was 1853328, and Delco didn't list the bolts separately, but they would have been available in NORS aftermarket stuff. Solenoid rebuild kits were also available aftermarket, and can turn up on Ebay.

The 37 Buick is not identical after all, but after looking at your pictures, it is very similar. I suspect the missing relay cover would fit, as well as the solenoid contact bolts.

There are 2 windings in the solenoid. One goes from the small post to a large contact, and the other from the small post to ground. If neither one is burned out, the solenoid should be repairable.

More good sources of Pontiac parts are Kurt Kelsey (P.M. KornKurt on this forum), and also California Pontiac Restoration, (pontiacparts.net).

Thanks for your help. I am gonna contact him now. 

No problem :)

When you get a minute, could you put a yardstick or straightedge or something up against the side-grilles of your hood, front to back, and tell me if they are completely flat or have a slight curve?

My Master Six seems to have one of each. One of them must be warped.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 9:05 PM, Bloo said:

No problem :)

When you get a minute, could you put a yardstick or straightedge or something up against the side-grilles of your hood, front to back, and tell me if they are completely flat or have a slight curve?

My Master Six seems to have one of each. One of them must be warped.

Hope these help

F2D976D2-BAB2-4623-8051-6B4C7E2AE3EC.jpeg

AAEC7C37-46CE-472B-968E-9D9BE8F1197C.jpeg

D3B09742-1798-4305-BBDB-1809E4B1F5E3.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jermaine,

Craig here, Mobile Parts, too early left coast time to call you, will call you later.  All phone calls to all the people / outfits I know -- and sadly , no one

has one brand new, your search is going to have to continue....??

Your picture says clearly that your starter IS series 727 S and that is CRITICAL, and the correct DELCO part # IS. 1516.....

At least, you do know that is 100 % correct -- so IF anyone has one -- if you confirm that it is for starter series # 727 S and the starter solenoid # is

1516 -- it will be correct.....

Good Luck finding one Jermaine, talk to you later......Yours, Craig.

Edited by mobileparts
Typo (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to keep This fresh. Still looking for the solenoid. Below are compatible Solenoids 

Car         Model                       Year  Solenoid switch

Graham 95,116,120 (RHD) (1937)          1516

La Salle 36-50                      (1936)          1516

Studebaker Pres. 3C           (1937)          1516

Pontiac 36-28                      (1936)          1516

Pontiac 37-28CA                 (1937)          1516

If you need the relay/contact set, they are usually available from eBay sellers.

They are common to several makes/years, including LaSalle, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and some Chrysler products.

According to my friend, the LaSalle expert, this is usually all you need to get the solenoid working again.

This one is on ebay now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-35-36-37-Cadillac-LaSalle-Chrysler-Desoto-Olds-Delco-starter-solenoid-relay/372699803781?epid=1953475580&hash=item56c6a3b085:g:UIgAAOSwKJ9bMhVw

s-l1600.jpg

NEW INFO: Also waiting to hear back from a Buick collector who might have a complete solenoid assembly. I'll send you a PM as soon as I hear back.

Edited by 95Cardinal
added new info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well I went ahead and ordered the one above. I just need to see some pictures of the order in which it goes together. The Starter rebuild shop I used took mine apart and I need to see the sequence it is to go back together.

Thanks,

Jermaine 

Check the windings in your solenoid. You should see ends of 2 windings connected to the small post. One winding goes from the small post to ground, the other winding goes from the small post to one of the large copper bolts. Check both with a continuity tester. A freebie Harbor Freight DMM will do fine.

If the continuity of those 2 windings check ok, your solenoid is fine.

Solenoid trouble is ALMOST ALWAYS the copper bolts. Look for erosion where the copper disc touches them. 90% chance they are all you need, as they are the only normally wearing parts.

The little relay probably does not need replacing either, though the NOS one in the pictures sure looks nice. Some manual I have shows how to set those relays up. You just drag something like a points file or a metal nail file (not sandpaper) lightly, only enough to scrape the surface corrosion, and from then on it is like setting up a voltage regulator. There is a spec for air gap and a spec for points gap, and a minimum voltage to make it pull in. I am not near my books at the moment. I would be happy to find this and post it if you need it. If Pontiac didn't put it in the shop manual Buick or MOTOR probably did.

That new relay is probably ready to go as-is.

It is fairly important that you find a cover to keep the relay from getting clobbered. The adjustments are fairly delicate. If your old one doesn't work, misadjustment due to clobbering is a far more likely cause than anything electrical, despite it's corroded appearance. A Buick cover is the same. Pay attention that the cover does not touch either of the 2 terminals coming out from under it.

Sorry I don't think I took pictures of the order things go together when I rebuilt the 37 Buick solenoid. It is a shame the guy left yours apart. If you post some good close-ups I could probably tell you what goes where.

There is a threaded adjustment on the solenoid plunger. Don't omit it. It needs to be done whether the solenoid is old or new. You hold the OUTER PART of the plunger all the way in, and measure from the tip of the drive gear to the starter nose housing. I think it's 1/8", but would have to look it up. A drill bit makes a handy gauge to check the gap. Bob's Automobilia has the rubber boot that goes over the plunger. Save the clamp.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1