65 Riviera - Attach Door Skin

BetsytheRiv

I'm sure this answer will be one of those face-palm moments but I've got an issue with the top and second bolts holding my passenger door skin in place spinning around making it damn near impossible to get the nut on properly.  I know I'll have to remove the door skin to get to that area to repair it but I'm trying to do my homework before removing the whole door skin and realizing I don't have on hand what I need.  I have considered injecting some kind of glue to hold the bolt so I could temporarily fix it but I just found out during the last rains I've got an electrical issue on that wind wing and a track issue on the window so I might as well fix the loose bolt issue properly while the opportunity is before me.  I went to my local fastener shop and bought damn near every nut, bolt and screw I could find listed in kits for the interior and doors to have on hand but the fella that was helping me didn't seem too well versed on actual car applications of said parts.  I really appreciate the help!!

Make sure you havnt cross threaded the nut and put some light weight oil on the threads. Use a wedge between the door skin and frame to place tension on the nut/bolt combination. Doing so will often keep the stud from turning initially until the nut gets to a place on the threads where there is less or no drag at all.

Tom Mooney

53 minutes ago, BetsytheRiv said:

I'm sure this answer will be one of those face-palm moments but I've got an issue with the top and second bolts holding my passenger door skin in place spinning around making it damn near impossible to get the nut on properly.  I know I'll have to remove the door skin to get to that area to repair it but I'm trying to do my homework before removing the whole door skin and realizing I don't have on hand what I need.  I have considered injecting some kind of glue to hold the bolt so I could temporarily fix it but I just found out during the last rains I've got an electrical issue on that wind wing and a track issue on the window so I might as well fix the loose bolt issue properly while the opportunity is before me.  I went to my local fastener shop and bought damn near every nut, bolt and screw I could find listed in kits for the interior and doors to have on hand but the fella that was helping me didn't seem too well versed on actual car applications of said parts.  I really appreciate the help!!

Cars Inc. have kits for the door skin fasteners. Here is a link to the largest kit, you can also buy smaller kits on their website.

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_28_353&products_id=7195

The best tool that I've found to use as a wedge, as Tom mentioned above, is this inexpensive set of door panel removal tools from Harbor Freight.  They're plastic so they won't mar the paint, and they taper from a fine point to fairly wide so you can always keep the tension on the T bolt. Especially good is the one that has a slot in the middle. It allows pressure to be applied to both sides of the T bolt simultaneously.

64126_W3.thumb.jpg.0dd23e8ef8d75d040ce5c20be9d14491.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Those wedges have been invaluable!  I'm in harbor freight all the time and had no idea how I'd missed them!  Greatly appreciate the recommendation.  Once door skin was off it was clear several were just hanging out loose and others were snug in their channels so I put some hot glue for the time being until I have the paint redone at which time I'll properly crimp them in place.  I didn't want to risk the paint doing it now.

This old link still works. It has common sense advise and I might have to refer to it when I replace those vent window gears and rubber on my '63.

http://www.chip.com/buick/techtips/doorskin.html

I'm using the same wedges today to clamp down on the console leatherette inlays with C-Clamps while the contact cement takes hold.

John B.

9 hours ago, BetsytheRiv said:

Those wedges have been invaluable!  I'm in harbor freight all the time and had no idea how I'd missed them!  Greatly appreciate the recommendation.  Once door skin was off it was clear several were just hanging out loose and others were snug in their channels so I put some hot glue for the time being until I have the paint redone at which time I'll properly crimp them in place.  I didn't want to risk the paint doing it now.

Just a word of caution trying to recrimp the pockets. In the article John B, referenced above a hammer and punch was used to try to recrimp. As stated in the article that steel is tough. You can damage the paint on the outside of the door skin even being careful. I am speaking from experience. If you are repainting, recrimp first.

Bill