Rear suspension change.

jonlabree

I am going to need some expert advice on this project.

In the attached picture I have the set up I would like to use.

Notice the lack of the spring.

This is a coilover setup with any spring weight I choose.

What I need opinions on is weather or not you think that # 1 will hold 1/4

of the weight of the car?

Please reply anything, so I can get a idea if this is going to work.

Thanks, Jon.

shock 2.jpg

The design is made to be able to change spring rates and adjust the spring you have.    The company selling the units should be

able to provide a spring that will handle the weight.

In a recent post,  the weight distribution of the Reatta is about 65% on the front 35% on the rear,  so you cannot use the same spring front and rear.

That should answer the question will it support 1/4 of the car weight...... you are not dealing with 1/4 of the car weight on each corner.

27 minutes ago, 2seater said:

Any idea what happened to "old man jimbo" ? He was working on something like this a year or more ago.

He was working on something like that. I just looked him up and he last visited on June 8, 2018 so I don't think he will be back...

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I thought he was making a rear wheel drive Reatta. Maybe that included coilover shocks.

Yes, I think he had both ideas rattling around and there was also a young guy doing a lowering plan but can't remember his handle, RedRacer or something like that.

As for the strength of part #1, I just don't know. I am not an engineer but at first blush, I would guess yes. My estimate of the corner weight with a small trunk load would be in the neighborhood of 750#, but of course transient loads over bumps and rough terrain is unknown. At the least, I would insure there is a sturdy bump-stop for the lower control arm short of the strut bottoming out or tire contact with the body.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Jon  no reason the part will not support weight as that was the mounting point of the original rear strut and it held the weight of the car.

Sorry Barney, I believe you are mistaken. The transverse leaf spring on a Reatta supports the weight of the car.  The rear struts serve as a shock absorber as well a link in the suspension to maintain the geometry of the rear knuckle and hub as the wheel travels up and down.  There is no spring on the rear struts like there is on the front struts.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Ronnie....... you are correct.

That strut mount is strong enough to take the transfer of road shock,  pot holes,  etc.  

My answer would still be it should work especially on the rear where only 35 % of the vehicle weight happens to be.

We need to get this answered as you know how persistent Jon is.

5 hours ago, 63viking said:

I would like to add metal. The problem is where?

There doesn't seem to be any room to do it.

Adding a thin plate on the outside of the sides of the upright and extending over as much of the lower bend as possible would seem to be the only possibility. Even 16ga or 18ga mild steel or stainless steel (better) would do a lot to stiffen that area. I suspect it is made of a high strength steel so I wouldn't put a lot of heat into it, just short welds and keep it cool. No need for a continuous weld. The other option might be to plate the same area but bond it with one of the modern automotive adhesives. The bending force, if any, would be in shear, so an adhesive might be a good choice. We attached a lot of body panels to support bracing with adhesives  a decade or more ago where I used to work. Can bond dissimilar metals that way as well, such as aluminum. Multiple layers becomes extremely stiff in shear, sort of like plywood.  

I think I am not understanding the question. Are you referring to the original transverse leaf spring? Not having one apart, I am not 100% certain but I have always regarded the original spring as flexing independently on each side of the center, much like a conventional leaf spring clamped to a solid axle.