65 inner fenders

RivVrgn

Greetings all, have a dilemma. Recently purchased a 65 that was someone else's project. Mostly original but they started redoing things with no real direction. So I've decided to redo as much as I can without doing a frame offend sort things out.  Not a show car just a nice driver. It will be driven but just want to clean things up really good.

My question is, I have all of the sheet metal off the front end down to the inner fenders and radiator support.  Was wondering how far to go down this rabbit hole. Are the inner fenders adjustable? If I remove them is there adjustments, alignments i need to do when i put them back on? May just leave them on if so because putting everything back together and aligning inner and outer fender, hood sounds like a real pain. Getting things back together and finding I need to realign the inner fender and take things back apart.... ugh. 

Short question, are the inner fenders just bolt off bolt on?

Thanks Joey

Hi Joey,

The inner and outer fenders basically adjust as a unit. There are a few adjusting points that dont involve the inner fenderwells but you will not be required to remove the outer sheetmetal to adjust the inners...as a matter of fact that is a mistake many fall into, ie, they mount the inner fenders and after attempt to mount the outer sheetmetal which is very difficult because of a very pronounced flange over the top of the fenderwell. Best to assemble them as a unit off the car and install that unit as one assembly.

Tom Mooney

33 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Joey,

The inner and outer fenders basically adjust as a unit. Best to assemble them as a unit off the car and install that unit as one assembly.

Tom Mooney

Great info.  I've wondered about this for a long time.  Just getting the fenders aligned while in primer was a nightmare.  I can sleep easy now.

12 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Best to assemble them as a unit off the car and install that unit as one assembly.

That's a good idea that I never thought of, probably the way they did it at the factory. When I reassembled mine I was never happy with the fit, always had to give the hood an extra nudge to latch and could never get the rear hood alignment the way I wanted. I followed the one piece at a time build up. I have a new right fender to put on. I will take it all off and try that method.

There are all new body and core support mounts on my car. Anyone replacing front sheet metal will be tempted to put new core support mounts in. Be sure to check the four cowl body mounts. The difference could also create a problem.

I have the new parts to repair our little scissors lift incident.

038.thumb.JPG.7f878294426d673e7a3306bb124df820.JPG

Bernie

On 12/21/2019 at 9:09 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Joey,

The inner and outer fenders basically adjust as a unit. There are a few adjusting points that dont involve the inner fenderwells but you will not be required to remove the outer sheetmetal to adjust the inners...as a matter of fact that is a mistake many fall into, ie, they mount the inner fenders and after attempt to mount the outer sheetmetal which is very difficult because of a very pronounced flange over the top of the fenderwell. Best to assemble them as a unit off the car and install that unit as one assembly.

Tom Mooney

Ok, that sounds like a plan. So it sounds like I will still have to adjust both inner and outer to get things straight but  just don't have to remove anything. I can deal with that, but it sounds like it will be a two person job, that combo can't be light? It just looks like it would be so much cleaner to take all this apart and paint it and reinstall. (plus repairing battery tray) Thanks for clearing this up.

Joey