1929 Turn signals

WPVT

The original turn signals on my 1929 truck are arrow shaped lights on the front and rear. They are, appropriately enough, "TURNSIGNAL" brand. In putting the wiring back into operating condition, I notice there doesn't seem to be a flasher in the circuit, just a switch to select left or right. It sort of makes sense that a lit arrow was considered enough of a signal that the vehicle was about to make a turn, but I'm wondering if non-blinking turn signals were the norm at first. 

I'll attach a photo of the left front signal lamp. 

Turn Signal 1929.jpg

• Like 1

I would be extremely surprised if those are from 1929. about 10 years later there would be about a zillion brands of light similar to those, some round, some oval,, some arrow shaped like yours, all with a black mask over the glass to give the arrow shape to the light. Guide introduced theirs around 1936-37 I think. They were intended for trucks where a hand signal might not be visible to other drivers. Similar units continued to be produced into the mid 50s.

Turn signals of various sorts did exist in the 1920s aftermarket, but I have never heard of any as "normal" as these, in other words arrow indicators on all four corners. Did they all blink in the 20s? I'm guessing not, but I don't know. My best guess is the ones in your pic were added just before or just after the war, and were probably intended for use with a flasher. I could be all wet, so I'll sit back now and see what everyone else thinks. I sure like them.

From the web:

Electric turn-signal lights date from as early as 1907. The modern flashing turn signal was patented in 1938 and later most major automobile manufacturers offered this feature. As of 2013 most countries require turn signals on all new vehicles that are driven on public roadways.

If it were mine I would just wire a flasher into the circuit before the switch for left and right.  The flashing light would be more noticeable than a non flashing light.