DODGE 230 EXHAUST PIPE SIZE

Sactownog

Seems 2 inch should be fine.  The exhaust I ordered for both my Chrysler 6 and Hudson 6 Were 2 inch from engine to the Muffler.  2 inch back on the Chrysler and the Hudson oddly had 1 and 3/4 or something smaller than 2 inch out the back.  Looks kind of silly.  I'm thinking of bending a new one up out of 2 inch. 

• Like 1

I am Thinking of going with 2" Stainless Steel. I sell the pipe and can get sicks of Stainless Steel 2"x10' for $175.ea

then I have to have someone bend it which shouldn't be to difficult. but it will add up quick. 

My plan is to use the original muffler that came with the car, not sure if that is a good idea or not, but it has worked for 2 years, just needs some clean up and it will get painted. 

Thought about getting a new muffler, but I like the way the old 85yr old (cherry bomb looking) muffler sounds. (like a tractor)

I heard stainless requires alot of lubing and slow bending so if the shop is not familiar with bending it you may want to mention it.  I think pre bent systems with mufflers and everything flared run around 450.  I bought an aluminized system for about 1/2 that but ended up only using the tail pipe pieces as my engine was changed and nothing matched off the header pipe.  The muffler they sent was too big for the location so i had to change that out with a Cherry bomb, which as you mentioned, I actually don't mind the sound of especially since my 6 in the Hudson is later with the twin H setup on it. 

If you use your original muffler with stainless steel pipe, you will have to make sure the muffler is well protected against galvanic corrosion. You will have a lower metal against a higher one in the galvanic series. It is wet in there on startup and short runs. I would expect it will be better to make a SS muffler because you will be doing that before too long anyway.

Or just make it all of galvanised steel. It will last years.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)