1925 Franklin Sedan help needed

tomwallace

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 1925 Franklin 11 A sedan. The previous owner hired a restoration shop to restore the car but lost interest midway in the project.

The main work was done including rebuilding the engine, restoring the chassis and working on the brightwork. The car appears complete.

I am a member of the Franklin club and have downloaded some mechanical drawings on a previous Franklin project.

My issue with this car is that the upholstery is not correct and is a bizarre color. A really bad bluish velour fabric. I can’t seem to find info on the Franklin site to specifics to the correct upholstery. I assume it is supposed to be a wool broadcloth.

I included some photos of the car before restoration started.

Where can I find the correct info on the upholstery for my car?

Any advice welcomed

Thanks

Tom Wallace
Dayton, OH

002.JPG

013.JPG

HI Tom

Sorry don't have answers on the fabric questions, but just wanted to point out that you could also join the Midwest Region of the H H Franklin Club, and if you're on Facebook there are several pages on Facebook with lots of Franklin expertise hanging out on it.

Next year's Midwest Region Spring Meet is being held in southwest Michigan in June 18-20, and includes the 10th Annual All Air-Cooled Gathering held at the Gilmore Car Museum on Saturday 20 June. The H H Franklin Club has its museum - the Franklin Automobile Collection at Hickory Corners.

Roger

Welcome to the world of Franklins, Tom.

Unfortunately, there isn't much factory info about interiors that has survived.

However, there are quite a few Series 11 still in original condition. Blueish gray, pale green, and deep red are just some of the colors I've seen in them.  If you look though the Series 11 section of your  roster  any cars with the letter "O" means that they were considered original when they were registered with the club.   You can contact the owner and ask if the interior is still orginal. If so, ask if you can get pictures.

Paul

I suggest you make a visit to the Gilmore Museum in Michigan to see the wonderful Franklin Collection there. Those are all very correct cars, and the visit will inspire even greater appreciation for a Franklins. There are two other major Franklin collections to visit: the Franklin Museum in Tucson, Arizona and the Northeast Car Museum in Norwich NY. 

To find the true color of your upholstery look in a place which has not been exposed to light such as underside of a seat cushion.  I saved such a piece from my 11B and it looks the same as yours which is brown and black stripe on the outer surface and solid brown on the backside.  This is called "bedford cord" which is a "double cloth" woolen fabric which has brown yarns which weave in both layers and black yarns weaving only in one layer. It was made specifically for upholstery use.  It is basically NLA.  Not even Bill Hirsch shows any available and he was supplied by English mills.

Gordon Howard

Edited by f147pu
clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

You need "wool Ribbed Bedford Cord cloth" specifically for automotive - otherwise the sun will rapidly fade.  Interesting that Bill Hirsch does not have and also Lebaron Bonney is closed - perhaps SMS has. 

I looked at SMS also.  All theirs is 50s and up patterns except for broadcloth for 49 Packard in what is dark blue or black solid color.

GH

The entire wiring harness of this car needs replacement.

I contacted Rhode Island Wiring and they have wiring for a sports sedan and roadster.

Is there any difference in the wiring harness between a sports sedan and a sedan?

I thought they were the same except the sports sedan does not have a rear window.

Thanks

Tom Wallace

Dayton, OH

Same wiring harnesses.

RIWS goes by the harness info that is sent along with the original to be copied. They sometimes don't know all the other body styles that use the same harnesses. When I send them a harness I try to include as much info of applications as possible, because they are pretty good at making use of that info to help with filling other orders for Franklin owners who might be missing parts or all of the original harnesses. I've had some cars in the shop that in past, the original wiring was taken out and cobbled up with modern plastic wiring and plastic loom. Knowing that harnesses from another body style that RIWS has records of that will work, has saved the day.

If you check the 11A wiring harness drawings the only exceptions for Sedan verses Sport Sedan are two additional drawings showing the dome light wiring in behind the upholstery. And those are run as individual wires. They are not part of the harnesses.   

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1