Old tube radio conversion

Buick35

I have an old RCA tube type radio box and head controls for my 35 Buick which no longer works. I found a radio shack portable radio that works on a/c or 6 volt dc with 3 c batteries. I took it apart and hooked up my 6volt battery charger to the battery compartment wires and was happy to hear that it works! I had the switch on the side on dc. I know it's not original but hey it sounds. I had it in the car before but running on batteries which was a real pain to change out. I just ordered some correct speaker fabric.Now all I have to do is install it on the car. Greg

IMG_20191201_165959_hdr.jpg

IMG_20191201_165930_hdr.jpg

• Like 2

I helped a friend fix the Wonderbar radio in his 1953 Buick. He was absolutely floored by how much better it worked than the radio in his new pickup truck. It brought in twice as many stations and the tone and sound were much better, the new radio sounded like a tin can by comparison. Tube radios are not that hard to fix and almost all the tubes etc are available and not very expensive, like $5 or $10 for a tube and 10 cents to $2 for capacitors.

• Like 1

I have a 1953 Buick radio model number 981 323 which has a pedal switch  to change the station. It is 12 volts made by Delco. The tube 12AU7 is the triger. I know a little about electronics so I will be able to get it playing by replacing the 3 pin vibrator, 0Z 4 tube and the coupling capacitor. I have the schematic for it. The radio I am looking for is a 1941 Buick 6 Volts made by Motorola model 980 660.  If I remember it has shortwave stations also.

Foot switches was common on most make of radios . Most common cause of malfunctioning radios are the 0z4 tube and /or the vibrator. The coupling condenser from the IF section to the out put transformer section must be replaced. Sometimes they short out. Another common problem is the tubes . They must be taken out and pins  cleaned . and also the socket  . All connections must  be refreshed  I learned by reading THE ELEMENTS OF RADIO by Markus and Horton. You will love it. Another helpful book is AUTO RADIO SERVICING  MADE EASY by Wayne lemons.