Odd looking brand new OLD Thermostat, I think?

lump

I saw two odd-looking old inline "thermostats" at a yard sale somewhere, and bought the better one just to find out what the heck it is. The housing appears to be made of painted brass. It has three outlets for hoses to attach. The largest must be in the inlet, and then there are two smaller "outlets..." one of them quite a bit smaller. I would ASSUME that the large "inlet" equals the square area of the two smaller "outlets." I can see a brass apparatus inside which looks to me like an early automotive thermostat.

Then there is a manually-rotated knob on the outside with three marked positions and the words, "Low," "High," and "Alcohol" stamped in the top. The rim of this knob is serrated like a coin, with a tab touching it which makes light clicks as the knob is turned. On one side is a lever which slides across a tab marked, "Open," and "Closed." 

This may be common and familiar to you folks, but I have never seen one quite like it. Is this even automotive at all? It sure looks that way, but that word "Alcohol" throws me off a bit. I am aware that people used to use alcohol as a coolant and antifreeze back in the day. But how or why would this thing worked on a car? 

Looking forward to insights from knowledgeable car folks from the AACA forums! 

Thermostat 1.jpg

Thermostat 2.jpg

Thermostat 3.jpg

Thermostat 4.jpg

Edited by lump (see edit history)

These were optional I think for 30's cars Aftermarket.  Not only an adjustable thermostat but kind of a heater valve.  The smaller hose port would go to the heater.  I've had similar adjustable ones without the heater hose outlet,  but the same adjuster. I think I still have one somewhere.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

These were optional I think for 30's cars Aftermarket.  Not only an adjustable thermostat but kind of a heater valve.  The smaller hose port would go to the heater.  I've had similar adjustable ones without the heater hose outlet,  but the same adjuster. I think I still have one somewhere.

Thanks, Auburn. So, on the face of that dial, I ASSUME that these are merely 3 settings...Low, High, and the 3rd setting is what to set it on if you're using Alcohol as your coolant/antifreeze. Right? 

1 hour ago, lump said:

Thanks, Auburn. So, on the face of that dial, I ASSUME that these are merely 3 settings...Low, High, and the 3rd setting is what to set it on if you're using Alcohol as your coolant/antifreeze. Right? 

Or you are signaling you really could use a drink!

• Like 1