ID'd as 54 Pontiac 6 - Looking to ID GM Exhaust/Intake Manifold

3macboys

I can't remember where I found this one but I've dragged it to a couple of flea markets just for fun to see if anyone can ID it along with numerous visitors to the shop.  So far no luck.  The only part number that I can clearly make out is GM 517274.  There is a second part number of 51727? possibly 5 being the last digit.  Casting is for a two barrel carb.  

DSC_0393.JPG

1 hour ago, 3macboys said:

That sure looks like it!  Can someone explain how the various intake and exhaust ports work - what has me confused is the 10 total openings.

Pontiac picture has a different exhaust port configuration then the manifold in the OP's pic, I think.

Whatever it is, might be for a 6 cyl engine with separate exhaust ports(6) one for each cylinder while the intake has 4 ports with the inside ports separting inside the block to feed 2 cylinders each, Nos 2, 3, 4 & 5. My guess, does this help narrow the possibilities?

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

It is a Pontiac of some sort..... The heat riser is Pontiac-ish and the choke stove plate is Pontiac for sure. Someone in these forums recently had to duplicate that plate.

I vote it is 1954 Pontiac 6, as the 6 is a 10 port block, and they had 2 barrel carbs in 54. Every exhaust valve has a port, and 2 of the intake ports are siamesed.

jqpfUoZ.jpg

L47op5o.jpg?1

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 3macboys said:

Thank you everyone!  I think that the 54 Pontiac 6 is it!  And I learned something too about how this combination works.  Don 

Yep, it's the 6. Well done, Bloo.

• Like 1

• 3macboys changed the title to ID'd as 54 Pontiac 6 - Looking to ID GM Exhaust/Intake Manifold