Draining differential on 1964 Riviera (non-posi)

first64riv

Hey guys,

I've been wanting to change my diff fluid but i can't seem to locate anything about draining a 1964 diff.  I've read all about the fill plug and I've got that.  How are you all draining your diffs?  I am pretty sure the fluid is 55 years old.

Thank you.

Chris

Back in the day the rear gear oil was made from Whale oil & it STUNK!!!  Usually no need to change it UNLESS you see metal in the oil.  To properly drain & clean the rear diff. you need to remove the 3rd. member/pumpkin.  Something easier to do is pull an axle & wipe the oil off with your hand & look for shiny metallic flakes in the bright sunlight. IF you can't see any shiny flakes re-install the axle & drive your car & enjoy it. Just for the heck of it IF your looking for something to do you could replace the inner axle seals BEFORE they go bad AND they WILL BEFORE you notice any axle fluid leaking.  IF it does leak fluid now you have to AT LEAST replace the oil soaked rear shoes.

Tom T.

34 minutes ago, telriv said:

Back in the day the rear gear oil was made from Whale oil & it STUNK!!!  Usually no need to change it UNLESS you see metal in the oil.  To properly drain & clean the rear diff. you need to remove the 3rd. member/pumpkin.  Something easier to do is pull an axle & wipe the oil off with your hand & look for shiny metallic flakes in the bright sunlight. IF you can't see any shiny flakes re-install the axle & drive your car & enjoy it. Just for the heck of it IF your looking for something to do you could replace the inner axle seals BEFORE they go bad AND they WILL BEFORE you notice any axle fluid leaking.  IF it does leak fluid now you have to AT LEAST replace the oil soaked rear shoes.

Tom T.

I guess I'm just looking for something to do.  The car drive fine.  I just need to enjoy it in it's current state.  Thanks Tom!