Help with my head scratcher

kclark

So yesterday, I got in my '29 Dictator to start it up and take it out to run it. The engine was turning over but sometimes when the battery is a little weak it just won't start. I did get it to start though and then I cut it off. When I went to crank it again, I got nothing. The battery has charge as it shows on the ammeter. But when I press the floor starter it is dead silence. I checked my wiring for my switch as in the past the nuts came loose and the car wouldn't start or if it was it would cut off. But the nuts are tight so the switch is good. The ground seems to be good and the starter was gone thru about 6 months ago with a clean bill of health along with a good cleaning.

I can't seem to find a good troubleshooting list to help with these cars.

I would check the floor starter switch and make sure it is passing through a good strong current. I had a caterpillar make a cocoon inside mine once. It would only make contact sometimes. Once I removed the cocoon and polished the contact surfaces it worked great again. Use a jumper cable to connect directly from the battery negative (positive ground system) to the terminal on the starter. If the starter works then you know it is the switch.

Edited by studeboy
additional information (see edit history)

1 hour ago, studeboy said:

I would check the floor starter switch and make sure it is passing through a good strong current. I had a caterpillar make a cocoon inside mine once. It would only make contact sometimes. Once I removed the cocoon and polished the contact surfaces it worked great again. Use a jumper cable to connect directly from the battery negative (positive ground system) to the terminal on the starter. If the starter works then you know it is the switch.

I'll start there as soon as I find my volt meter.

Unhook the cable connections, clean and re install.  Check the actual cables  (unless you know the age /condition )because they can corrode on the insides but look fine.  Resistance is the enemy and you can check it with Ohms and or a volt meter/ test light in the cranking mode or at the cable ends.

If that is an inertial (bendix) type starter it has to be very free on the motor shaft to work reliably.   Mine used to stick every couple years.  I finally used a little graphite-based lock lubricant on the shaft and it has been fine since.