Identification Buick super convertible

Dave22

14517325 = frame serial number
1 = built at Flint, MI
4517325 = sequential number, range for 1946 was 4,364,445 to 4,524,130

Buick was known to use an I for a 1 and a b for a 6.  Perhaps it is a 1946 but wasn't imported until 1949?  It wasn't unusual for the importing country to use the year of import as the year of the car.  If you find the body plate mentioned above it will have the model year listed on it.  The plate will look like the one in the attached photo. As you can see from the photo,  in 1946 the serial number plate was attached with screws, so it would be easy to swap with another.

1946 Buick Data Plates 01b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dave22 said:

Thank you for your answers! the problem is that the car is of 1949 (new shape, large front grille, three ventisport round ect ....) I do not understand why the number corresponds to a model of 1946

If the car is truly a 1949, then sounds like someone removed the 1949 frame serial number plate and data plate and replaced it with a 1946 frame serial number plate.  There are lots of reasons a person might do this and the plates are easily removed.

Buick always used a frame serial number plate (called a VIN in later years).  Some years the was actually attached to the frame and other years it was attached to the cowl, firewall, or door jamb area.  The style of the plate varied over the years.  Also, an X after the Fisher body style number denotes some sort of hydraulic power accessory not an export car.  For 1949 this would be hydraulic window lifts/seat/top.  An X after the Buick model number would denote an export model (see the attached model chart from the 1928-1954 Buick Master Chassis Parts Book).  

1928-1954 Buick Master Chassis Parts Book.jpg

• Like 1

Hello a few 1949 models I seen didn’t have the smaller I’d tag perhaps it was only those cars and someone removed them. To tell if it is a early or late model,the duct for ventilation will protube from the radiator core support,if it is a Dynaflow the fill level check will be under the hood low on passenger side early cars it’s under floor on passenger side .the venti ports ie portholes , will be open to engine compartment later models are blocked off.early convertibles have a lay flat spare,also a steel  rather than canvas top well .deck lid is also higher on late model for stand upright spare. If Hope this will help.Gary

1AB904AF-EBCB-46D8-8705-A8C7B4B9B671.jpeg

• Like 1

It is also mostly safe to say "only" a 1949 has those tail lights.  They are not shared with any other year, although they cuold be used as a customization.   Also  the Instrument panel (dashboard) on a '49 is a one year only design.  However,  I don't have a picture of that readily available  

The 1949 Buick was a one year only,with parts being hard to find for a restoration today attached a picture of the 49 dashboard called pilot centered in Buick advertising.One annoying feature is the headlight switch located by the cigarette lighter sometime pull out the lighter rather than turning on lights also the ashtray was criticized as being to small by drive reports of the time.

9D54CC20-99FF-4D46-B66D-DB9BCF2CE27F.jpeg