Rough idle

bikemikey

My car was running fine, then started running rough on the road. I have a rough idle, mid range on rpms it will clear out, any higher it will start to stumble. I had a MAF code  E034, so I cleaned the MAF, IAC, EGR valve, still same problem but no codes. I also unplugged the O2 sensor, no change. From what I understand the O2 sensor does not come into play until closed loop, is that right?, if so, then that probably is not the problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The ICM and coil pack is not that old, but we know about them, I really need to make the switch. I also bought some gas before this, thinking maybe there is some water in the tank, I don't use the car that much.I also noticed that when using the EGR over ride,  #2 and #3 would lug the engine down, but I could not tell much on #1. They all would click with engine off.    Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks 

53 minutes ago, bikemikey said:

I also unplugged the O2 sensor, no change. From what I understand the O2 sensor does not come into play until closed loop, is that right?

That is correct. Try unplugging the MAF and drive a little to see how that effects the problem.  Also, pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and inspect for gasoline inside the hose.  A member of the ROJ forum had a problem very similar to yours.  Replacing the fuel pressure regulator fixed the problem. You can read about it here: Rough or Surging Idle

Well, it ended up being either the ICM or the coil pack, I replaced both. The car now runs better than it ever did in the past. Both the coil pack and the ICM did not have that many miles on them. I think this hot Texas heat plays havoc on the electronics with this car. Like some of you have said, it pays to carry a spare with you. I'll have to figure out which one is bad, and keep the other for a spare.  Thanks everyone.