Connector Removal - 1988

B Jake Moran

Continuing the parts car breakdown. I'm headed to ROJ but just in case, and for others perhaps as well as me - how does one safely remove the switches from the wiring harnesses.  I want to save BOTH the switches and the wiring for the car restoration (105).   

I have removed 2 plastic pieces wedged in there to hold in place.  I see the switches have 2 sides to them.  I see push in tabs on each end.  I press those and that SIDE comes up but it seems like something is holding these connectors in the MIDDLE.  

DSCN0683.JPG

DSCN0682.JPG

Slide a small flat head screwdriver down along the side in the middle of the harness [where the bump is] as it rests against the switch. Then either slide another screwdriver along either end of the harness and rock it up a bit. Then once the harness is past the "bump" you can just pull it off.

If you are going to scrap the car you might want to cut off a section of wiring harness with the blue connector attached.  This photo will explain what I mean..  Having a spare might come in handy down the road.  Those connectors have been known to melt if the switch overheats.

1988-Buick-Reatta-dash.jpg.c19a4316191e1be7f5b7debff09d6006.jpg