1937 Front wheel cylinder banjo fitting

drdon

I have a stripped unusable banjo fitting as one of the VERY last items to get my restored CE on the road. Have banjo fittings because I used a 6A frame in restoration. Right now I robbed one from my Coupe. Any ideas out there. I see gobs of them online but do not know what might fit. To complicate things I cannot find banjo fitting in parts catalog. 

4 hours ago, drdon said:

To complicate things I cannot find banjo fitting in parts catalog. 

LoL! That is because they rarely use slang terms. Some people even have a pumpkin in the car, but I wouldn't want to make soup out of it!

Maybe this helps: 1934-46 Chassis Parts Catalog section 1103. 185171 FITTING, Front Brake Cylinder inlet. 2A, 4A, 6A, 1B, 1C, 2C, 3C. Drawing 1103-21 just above and 1103-22 is the screw, 185172.

Don —- I’m pretty sure that I have some. You are talking about the fittings that have the alignment  “fork” on the end, right?  I’ll look for them when I get home from Mansfield tomorrow . I’m not sure if I have any where  one of the “fork” tines is not broken off.

Do you need any of the banjo bolts?

Tom

I finally found it last night in parts catalog. Duh. 

Yes I need just the fitting picture 15 part # 185171. 

Broken fork tine is ok- in fact my stripped one did not ever have a fork aligner on it

but the one I robbed from my Coupe did. Hmm. 

Email me Drdon1111@aol.com if you find one. 

No bolt needed I think as the one from the stripped fitting seems fine. 

Anyone recommend new copper crushed washers? One or two?

Hi Don.

I guess I’m not real sure what you have there. The banjo fittings I have are as pictured and are part number 185171. 

There are two copper gaskets required. The one that goes under the head of the banjo bolt is .543 inches ID and the one that goes on the shank of the banjo bolt and fits between the banjo fitting and the wheel cylinder is .444 inches ID. I’m pretty sure that second one is part number 185167. Chuck Collins shows that one as being available on his website.

The original washers are thinner (and probably softer) than those available today, and were designed to distort into the grooves made on the surfaces of the banjo fitting, rather than crush.  I hope I’m explaining this OK. When I think of copper crush washers I think of the asbestos-filled washers used to seal water jackets.

Anyway, when you get this fitting, if the bolt you have does not fit, let me know. I have that also

Tom

E9ACEF06-E93E-46EC-998B-2723F0D6427F.jpeg

982C507E-A9A8-4372-8EF9-161CE59019C8.jpeg