1948 Roadmaster, 76S

Just want to try this forum.

And maybe find someone that know anything about my car.

All that I know is that a man from Passadena owned the car for many years.

Have a nice day.

Nick

First off, I would like to extend a hearty welcome to you.

Second, I have Swedish ancestry! laugh.gif

Now here are some tech specs of your car.

320 Straight 8

Bore and Stroke 3-7/16 X 4-5/16 inches

6.6:1 Compression

144 brake horsepower at 3600 RPM

Mechanical Valve Lifters

Carb: Stromberg AAV-267 #380226 or Carter 609 or 664 two barrel.

3 speed manual or Dynaflow

Thank you very much.

And thanks for the tecnical spec. But are you sure about the mec lifters? I´ve heard both mec and hydraulics but the most people this far says hydralics. Would have been nice if someone could told me wich it is.

I apologise for my bad english...

I think you have right, late model of 48 Roadmaster with Dynaflow have hydraulic lifter have I read in the shop manual. But I have wondering from when?

Hej Leif!

Tack för ditt inlägg på BCA forum.

Har länge funderat på vad som är sen respektive tidig 48. Enligt de uppgifter du lämnade är min senare, alltså med hydraliska lyftare.

Blir lite nyfiken på var du hittat dessa uppgifter, hade varit roligt att höra om du kunde hjälpa mig med fler uppgifter om bilen.

Ha en bra dag

Niklas

Kungälv

I believe that if your car had RED lettering on the rocker-arm cover,it had hydraulic lifters,if Black,mechanical lifters, The same applies to 49 three-speed cars with the 248 engine.

I want to thank you all for your advices and comments. I now know a bit more about my car. Anyone that knows where I can find a picture of an -48 engine, preferably in colour so I can see how it is painted and how the decals are?

Nick

I am NOT wrong on the fact that Buick painted solid lifter engines a diffrernt color than hyd lifter engines....I just can't recall what years they did this. 48-49 or the early 50's....I just don't have a shop manual to double check the years. The information is given under the "valve adj procedure" section.

Bill

I have a 48-49 and a 50 shop manual and the only diiference it states is that the Fireball is red and a extra decal is stuck on Hyd lifter cars.

Mechanical lifters the Fireball 8 is blue.

This is under the valve adjustment section.

Bill, Are you sure you are not thinking of the early 40's engine that were painted red ? I thought and just looked in the Buick Judging manual and this era was all Turquoise. No diference between the lifters.

48-49 Buick Shop Manual,page 48... Engines equipped with hydraulic valve lifters are identified by RED "Buick Fireball"lettering on rocker arm cover.A label also is placed on the cover,stating_ "This Engine Equipped with Hydraulic Lifters"

Ok here goes: 51-52 Blue decal on Torquise engine= solid lifter

Red decal on Blue engine= hyd lifter

I just couln't recall the years that they did that at first, and I have seen two engines out of 51 Buicks and one one blue and the other touquise, one had a stic behind it and the other dyna-flow. The stick had mech lifters

Bill

and unlike some people I can make mistakes sometimes and my name is NOT ANONYMOUS. To me anonimity is cowardness

Sir,you are probably the most astute writer on this item,My old car sure needs the engine compartment to be redone.Can you kindly get the names of the colors (Or aren't they named as are body colors),also specific usage of the individual colors so that I have the CORRECT color on my car? I am sure that lots of us will appreciate this.Thanking you in advance! mrbuick714@webtv.met

If I have a choice, I'd like the crow WELL DONE. I spent 2 hours this morning looking for the reference I had found a couple of years ago, but today I could not find it. So I cannot prove that Buick painted their engines two different colors, dependiing on whether or not they had hyd or solid lifters.

Darn.. this is the worst crow I ever et..... frown.gifblush.gifconfused.gif

Bill

Your credibility is ZERO because you can not back up your statement.I have found that the less some know about a car,the longer the write-up.One guy,in particular has short,concise answer,when checked,always seem to be correct.Why dont you,all of you,print only correct answers instead of inuendos? Charles Deyo.

Bob's Automobilia lists BLUE for all Buick engines,42-53(except V8). It took a lot of hunting,so I will count on Bob's expertise a I have done in years gone by. Bill Sharpe

• 2 weeks later...

This one has gotten like the 50s Olds Rocket engine color debate. One supplier claims he has the only paint mixed according to the exact factory formula. Another guy who was working the engine line in those days says the paint was nothing more than standard Industrial Dark Green enamel delivered to the engine plant in 55 gallon drums and labeled as such.

I'm more inclined to believe someone who was actually there.

Besides, Anonymous- you, yourself, haven't given us proof that Critterpainter's info is wrong. Where is <span style="font-weight: bold">your</span> documentation? At least he tried to find his.