1928 Buick tires

crazycars

Just bought a rough but complete 1928 Buick Brougham 4 door sedan, dual side mounts, and wire wheels. Strange tire size: 800 x 21. Seems awfully large.  Anyone out there have an idea if this is actually the correct tire size for the car? All responses gratefully appreciated. Thanks

1928 Buick Brougham.jpg

Edited by crazycars (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The 6.00-21 is a balloon tire.  The balloon tire came out on the 1925 Buick in a 6.00-22 (for the Master) and 5.50-22 (for the Standard) tire size.  Called a balloon tire because it was a 30 PSI tire and not a 50 PSI tire as used on 1924 and earlier cars.  A 7.00-21 is still available from Coker or Universal tire, and others I suppose if you prefer the look of that tire.  The 8.00-21 is no longer available.   I run 6.00-22 on my 1925 Buick Standard  because that is all that is available.  22 inch is a 1 year only size.  There is a lot of wheel travel on these old cars and the larger tire fits the opening better IMO so I like the look of the larger tire.  It makes the car look more imposing and more robust on it's wood spoke wheels.  Those are good looking spoke wheels on your barn find.        Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I believe that  6.00 - 21" is correct size for 28 Master. with Buffalo A5 wheels. I had original Dunlop tires in this size on my car and bought the same  size from Coker.  I think 7.00 or 8.00 would look really fat.  Is  you car model 28-47 on 121" wheelbase? 

I love these Buffalo wheels, do you have all 6 of them? Difficult to source them these days....

PS: looking into 1928 Shop manual right now, is says tire size for Master (120" and 128" wheelbase cars) at 33x6 (6.00 tire on 21" rim) or 31x5.25 for Standard  (114" wheelbase cars) . The math does not quite work with 5.25", but I think this size is not available anyway for 21 rims.

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)

I just picked it up again after sitting for years.

I am trying to make progress on it and the '22 speedster at the same time.

When I get frustrated with one or have to wait for supplies, I move over to the other.

What cars do you have now and which one does your wife like to go in for ice cream?

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

On 8/26/2019 at 8:09 PM, Dwight Romberger said:

Gary,

Déjà vu all over again!

Great to see you still have the fever!

Dwight

Dwight, crazy as I am, I'm up to 15 cars mostly 1920's. Some people rescue dogs and cats, I do cars (and dogs and cats!!).

7 minutes ago, crazycars said:

Really interesting! I never knew. Thanks!

Yeah but none of those sizes would be available on my '18 because it's already 34 and if I ballooned it, it would be even bigger, these are all smaller.

32 x 6.2 is almost a modern tire, it calls for a 19.6  inch rim!

Crazycars; I was out at a friends place the other day and saw a couple of Buick Buffalo wire wheels (with front hubs and axle) on his junk pile. If your are interested his contact info is Jim Morley, e-mail is mjmorley2@shaw.ca. 

• Like 1