1952 Mercedes 300 - the Adenaur WOW!

Daniel, my friend, I am feeling somewhat negative tonight. Therefore ,it is with great sorrow that I must bring to your attention a sobering reality. Daniel, you are too old now to tie up the necessary remaining years to deal with projects like this. You only need one more car, one you really love, one well sorted, and ready to do your bidding. This is not it, and if you are remotely considering acquiring this, or anything even remotely resembling it, please come to your senses. Today may well be the healthiest, strongest, most able day for the rest of your life. Make the most of it. If I remember correctly, you are almost my age. Increased difficulty may strike at any time. Please call me again if you would like. Find a worthy car, and tour the region when and where you pick it up.    -    Carl 

• Like 1

You couldn't turn the rusty car with plastic windows in the initial post into the silver car for the ~$5000 difference in price. Buy the silver one if you like these cars. Getting a small block Chevy and a TH350 operational will cost less than one fuel injector on the original engine. Who cares if it's correct? You'll spend the rest of your life not driving the car if you need to make that first one correct--you'd have to sell your house to make that car ambulatory. Or you can be driving the silver one before Hershey.

Or this is all just sound and fury signifying nothing. Again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, C Carl said:

Hey Jake : I hereby pledge $10 (ten dollars) towards the purchase of this sad, deteriorated, hungry, decrepit money pit in the highly unlikely event you actually pull the trigger on it. Didn't you say you have a couple of kids to put through college ? Start putting a little away now for some really decent car when you are my age. If gasoline is still available then, you will be driving that vehicle sooner than you would be able to drive this one in the intervening two decades. (You and I know you will not fall for this one - no sunroof anyway - so let Molly and the sellers know now that you have come to your senses and will refrain). There you have it ! Don't you feel better now ?  

As always, thank you for bringing interesting cars up for us to chew on !    -   Carl 

Yes Carl that is the point.  There are any number of normal collector cars.  I always hope what I locate will find someone.  I will go look at the car.  There is still a lot of unknowns.  For instance, Molly states the mileage is 33,000 original.  The friends dad who owned this car, as mentioned, owned 10 at one time and likely a Pagoda and other MBs.  

What if the floors are solid, the engine is complete and just dusty.   They want to settle this estate.  I am pretty sure I could buy it and flip it and make a small amount.  Which would not be the point.   I obviously love Adenaurs but you are correct (all of you) my large scale restoration days are likely behind me.