1965 Fuel gauge replacement

crowvet

The fuel gauge on my 65 is stuck on full. When I disconnect it and ground it at the sending unit, it does not go down. I have power at the sending unit wire. I thought the power to the sender would be a pulsating voltage. What I have is constant. I believe I need a new gauge in the dash. My question is.... Do I attack the gauge from behind the dash? Or can I pull the bezel and go from the front?

13 hours ago, crowvet said:

The fuel gauge on my 65 is stuck on full. When I disconnect it and ground it at the sending unit, it does not go down. I have power at the sending unit wire. I thought the power to the sender would be a pulsating voltage. What I have is constant. I believe I need a new gauge in the dash. My question is.... Do I attack the gauge from behind the dash? Or can I pull the bezel and go from the front?

The bezel can be removed by taking out the allen nut at the bottom of the bezel.  The inner face plate will pull right out in one piece and you will have access to the gauge.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

The bezel can be removed by taking out the allen nut at the bottom of the bezel.  The inner face plate will pull right out in one piece and you will have access to the gauge.

Awesome Pat, thank you. I am going to check it out a little closer today.

Are you grounding the wire at the dis-connect at the rear of the car or at the sender???   It's located behind the license plate & I believe the wire color is green.   Ground this wire to a known GOOD ground (bumper)& run a jumper wire between the ground & green wire the gauge should then go to empty.