1913 Hupp 32

Nash34

So today we took a ride in dad Hupp. He seem to always have problems with going it to first. 

I have  heard that model 32's had little trouble with going in to first. 

Any suggestions on making it easier to shift in to first?

20190415_192130.jpg

The engine speed must be low enough to match transmission speed. Retarding spark may help. On my model 32 touring the clutch must be strongly pressed to the floor. My experience is limited as I took my model 32 touring in a trade and intend to sell it. Too many toys and in need of improving my tow vehicle situation.

Joe

• Like 1

Yes, I did a valve job on it and needed the compression chamber gasket. It is in transit and I hope to get it installed soon. Then I can see if the valve job improved road speed and engine smoothness. For your shifting issues- Another trick for matching speeds is to momentarily bump the foot feed, which will give some variation to the engine speed. Hopefully that helps you find a speed match to slip into gear without a clash.

Joe

304A3FB8-3DA3-4F3D-9850-5BD91D087272.jpeg

• Like 3

Practice will not only improve your skills, but likely will work some kinks out of the car. They seem to like to be used and repay us by running better. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Yes, I believe it was made in thirteen as a fourteen model, but did not get any of the optional electric starting or lighting. I just listed it on HCCA.org for sale. Maybe I can get me a newer tow vehicle. Or at least not get distracted by working on this, when I have four finished cars sitting here getting jealous. Are you using the original carburetor? Mine has a broken off idle needle. Others in the Hupmobile club have switched to other carburetors , so I have not fixed it, figuring the next owner can make his choice.

Dad has the original carburetor. But the car is using the bb1 currently. Which seems work ok. I'm not very impressed with it.  It seems to be part of  shifting problem. As it doesn't really allow the car idle very well. 

I'm trying to encourage him to put the original carburetor back on. 

Our newly-formed local car group had a day trip this past Saturday. Humpmobile did fairly well. A little difficult to start after it gets warmed up. I'm kind of wondering if the changing of the carburetor and a go through the mag might help starting the car. 

I saw your car on the Horses Carriage Club forum looks like a nice one. I could definitely see how Humpmobile 32s make wonderful smaller touring car.

• 4 weeks later...

A little update on my car. I found a used original carb. It ends up the idle needle is a syphon tube. It improved the carbureation a little, but not as much as I had hoped. It runs smooth enough, and starts ok, but is too slow. It would be fine for puttering around town, but I go on tours and it needs more road speed for that. I have opened up the timing parts and am slowly getting it all checked out to see that it is set up properly. It is hard to do when working alone. The books all tell how to take the chain loose and reset it, but leave it up to you to figure what to look for on the assembled car. 

• Like 1

Back to original request for shifting help, now that I have the car out driving it more. I have gotten better at tapping the clutch brake at the bottom of the stroke of clutch and then putting in gear. Your welcome to call if talking thru it helps. Seven 65- four27- seven 0 seven 8

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.  We had Hump out today for a family get togather. Car did good on shifting. Dad getting things figure out.

The only problem it seem to have now is after running for awhile. Stop car for a short time. Try to fire it back up it dose not like to fire back up. 

I am sour it something simply. Just keep playing with it. 

Gossjh  How's your car doing?

• Like 1

G,day Listers. Gossjh Unless you have your clutch brake adjusted to completely stop the input shaft of the gearbox you will never get it into low gear from standstill without a crunch when cold and probably  not even when hot. When adjusted push the pedal to  the stop or the floor whichever comes first with the engine at low idle. Be sure the hand throttle is set back to slow idle from the start position, let the engine warm a little from cold and any gear will engage smooth as butter. After engaging gear from standstill the clutch brake is not needed and should not be used when driving. The adjustment is fully explained in the owners handbook of which reprints are available. and it will need trimming from time to time When you are used to it on tour you probably wont use the clutch after you set off at least not in open country. My grandson regularly drives our 32 without trouble.

Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

I have not tried to shift without the clutch, but do remember that being the trick on some Whites. I do not normally leave a car in neutral while sitting, so I do not often experience the spinning / clashing that has been described. It is natural for us to match engine speed and ground speed. We had the car for sale at Hershey and drove it around, thinking it might be our last chance to play with it. We still have it and my son and I both improved our skills driving it. We also at Hershey fired up the gas lamps and were surprised at how few people had seen gas lamps in use.  It starts easily since we retimed the cam.

• 3 months later...

Hi Nash34 this is Oldsoul58 and I have just purchased a 1913 Hupp 32 touring and was wondering if you could help me with some ?s that I have about my car. I need some pics of what the windshield pivots  look like and pics of the spare tire brackets some under the hood pics of some thing s that I dont know if im supposed to have or not. Thanks.