Dodge UF-10 Speedo Drive Cable

Henry Boler

Hi All,

I've just completed a full strip down and rebuild of the speedo on the truck. Pic attached. It now works perfectly which is really cool as it was seized solid when I got it.

Is it possible to buy a new drive cable off the shelf or do I need to get someone to make me one? I'm aware of places in the UK that will do it. I will need to know the thread sizes to do that I guess. Also can you explain to me the route from the gearbox to speedo please? I know mine is a right hand drive, but it can't be too different. Also the length of the cable would be handy too if possible.

Thanks.

Henry

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-19 at 10.41.13 PM.jpeg

Edited by Henry Boler
Forgot to attach pic! (see edit history)

Here a pic how it routed thur engine mount , up cowl ,strapped bend to center hole in and up dash gage panel .   Do you have any of it I have only seen the universal  internal cables available to cut down to size needed .  The shell and connectors will be harder . I remember something about internal seal to keep fluid from working up to gage .

790820578_hadeesGlenns.thumb.jpg.294b0dda87b50a68e63172529a90c22f.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:30 AM, ArticiferTom said:

Here a pic how it routed thur engine mount , up cowl ,strapped bend to center hole in and up dash gage panel .   Do you have any of it I have only seen the universal  internal cables available to cut down to size needed .  The shell and connectors will be harder . I remember something about internal seal to keep fluid from working up to gage .

Thanks Tom, I don't have any of it left at all unfortunately. Must have been thrown away by a silly previous owner at some point in time. Interesting to see the photo you sent, I had a spare cable clip on the body I was wondering what it was for, now I know. Also, what are the big hoses going in to the cab on yours? Do you have heating in there or something?

Yes , That is a pic from Glenn's truck only 300 serial number earlier than mine ,but less molested over years . Yes , the hoses are for aftermarket heater added . Mine has the taps on engine and coolant line return . Unit was removed . I have a identical one to Glenn's but not installed , yet . Do not real use in Winter and find with windows closed and open floor boards , plenty of heat migrates .

I'll do some checking on size of cable and see if we can find . maybe that most mopars are same end from that era .

1 hour ago, Henry Boler said:

Thanks Tom, I don't have any of it left at all unfortunately. Must have been thrown away by a silly previous owner at some point in time. Interesting to see the photo you sent, I had a spare cable clip on the body I was wondering what it was for, now I know. Also, what are the big hoses going in to the cab on yours? Do you have heating in there or something?

7 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

I'll do some checking on size of cable and see if we can find . maybe that most mopars are same end from that era .

I guess I could see if I can get a do it yourself cut to size kit and make the caps myself on the lathe if I have to.

There's a company in England called Speedy Cables (https://speedycables.com).

They are very good apparently and do a lot of custom stuff to whatever your needs. So I might have a chat with them at some point. It's obviously a while before I actually need the speedo working mind!

I need to measure up the threads on the gearbox and the speedo so I know what I'm asking for.

12 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I "may" have the shell and connectors off a 1929 DA6 donor motor. It looks like the one in Toms post and is 60" long. Can take pics tomorrow or over the weekend if needed.

Is a DA6 motor the same as what I have? I'm not familiar with all the names and numbers yet!

7 hours ago, Henry Boler said:

Is a DA6 motor the same as what I have? I'm not familiar with all the names and numbers yet!

As Spinney has pointed out, both engines are quite different, but at times parts may have been interchangeable... Which is why I was just putting forth the information on the donor cable I have "incase" the shell and connectors may work for you. 

You may or may not know but yours and Tom's engine are referred to as UF 10's which simply put means a Plymouth design that was used in it's sister (Dodge) trucks by Chrysler at the time. Fargo was another line but we won't get into that here...

The DA6 passenger car predates your trucks but again some of the parts may be interchangeable. Sometimes Hollander interchange reference books and others (such as Penzing) can verify or deny the interchangeability but it's worth checking into because the shells and connectors are getting  harder to find as you can imagine...

Here's a comparison of the two engines if you need it for any reason. Keep in mind they made many changes along the way during production so some of these parts may have been changed at one point but this should give you a general idea of how different the engines were. The first pic is from a 1929 DA6 Passenger car parts list book and the UF 4 cylinder photo is from a WPC newsletter issue date of 1978 that discussed examples of the UF engine that was used in trucks from the UF 1/2 ton to larger trucks like the UF30. This should be pretty close to the same engine you have currently but you may see differences since it's a RHD export.

DA ENGINE 1.jpg

1931 32 DB trucks 3 (2).jpg

Here's the article from the WPC newsletter I thought some of you may enjoy reading if you don't have a copy of the "1931-1932 Dodge Trucks The Not-To-Be Forgotten Asset" by Sherwood Kahlenberg. 

Copies come up on eBay from time to time and are always reasonably priced. I'd recommend it to anyone with a 1931-32 DB truck.

BTW, does anyone know if Sherwood is still around anymore? If so, I would like to get his current contact info if possible as I have a few questions for him...

1931 32 DB trucks 3.jpg

1931 32 DB trucks 5.jpg

1931 32 DB trucks 7.jpg

1931 32 DB trucks 8.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Great , I struck out with Jay . Some of vendor books show what looks like a 70" modern replacement . I have seen universal  cable , cut to fit , some where .  Must find if you have a shell . That Speedycables  co in UK has some nice stuff . If end are metric should match up .

I do think engine has any thing to do with cables as your hooking to transmission and North East gauge . Only difference would be in trans speed drive gear  designed for Kilometers . I am right ? Henry , can you tell buy when you drove it ?

Edited by ArticiferTom
spell (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

. Only difference would be in trans speed drive gear  designed for Kilometers . I am right ? Henry , can you tell buy when you drove it ?

Tom we’re in miles over here. It’s mainland Europe that use kilometres. Looks like I’ll be having a chat with speedy cables UK then!

The British Empire all were in miles originally. NZ changed to metric measurement in all systems in 1972. This includes Cadastral Surveying (i.e. land titles, which were in links) and engineering works (which were in feet). Australia in 1973. Canada began the change in 1970.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:13 PM, Spinneyhill said:

The British Empire all were in miles originally. NZ changed to metric measurement in all systems in 1972. This includes Cadastral Surveying (i.e. land titles, which were in links) and engineering works (which were in feet). Australia in 1973. Canada began the change in 1970.

This is very true, and over here in England / Great Britain / United Kingdom, or whatever we're called we still don't really know. We use miles and yards on the road, efficiency is in MPG as you'd expect, half the people measure their height in inches the other in millimetres. We go to the pub for a pint still, and we buy a pint of milk. But to comply with the EU rules we have to display metric on everything, so we have some strange numbers like 568 millilitres of milk written on the carton etc. next to where it says 1 pint! It's a strange old place! And we drive on the right of course and you drive on the wrong, er, I mean left! haha!

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:05 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

I had always assumed that all of UK vehicles of the era would have been in kilometers as well... good to know.

We've always been in miles, just at some point, fancier cars started having dual gauges that display kilometres in small print inside the miles band. I have a 70s triumph GT6 and took it to Europe for a holiday (vacation), and the kilometres part was completely useless, could barely make out what it said!

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:29 AM, Spinneyhill said:

Thanks for the link. Is that the same part that I would require on my truck then? Are these 1930s bits all standardised?