Choke stove pipe broke and the carburetor baseplate is chewed up how interesting

Hearse

When I had the carburetor off I noticed the portion of the baseplate was eroded around the choke heat passage , almost to the point that it is intruding into the primary butterfly casting. I am speaking with Carb John to see if maybe he might have a good replacement carburetor for her. The carb was also missing that steel baseplate gasket that I see a few of you mentioning. I also noticed the choke tube is broke off at the exhaust manifold and I got most of it out of the brass fitting but is there a better way to fully remove it so I can get a new tube in there? who has a good tube for it? I read that on some Riviera's they had the steel tube running into the exhaust manifold then at some point on the way up it has a section of rubber hose in between? then steel up to the carb choke?

Edited by Hearse (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Hearse said:

When I had the carburetor off I noticed the portion of the baseplate was eroded around the choke heat passage , almost to the point that it is intruding into the primary butterfly casting. ... The carb was also missing that steel baseplate gasket that I see a few of you mentioning.

Problem and cause.

• Like 1

For replacement tube, try Inline Tube or Classic Tube.  One of them have it, I just forget which one I got mine from at the moment.

There are two tubes.  One to the choke housing and the other to the vacuum side of the carb.  I took the manifold off mine and very carefully drilled out the broken ends.  Emphasis on very carefullly.  

Choke works properly now.  

• Like 1

The OD of both tubes is 1/4"  .250" Use a drill bit slightly smaller than a 1/4" DON'T drill down more than 1/2"-5/8" or you run the chance of drilling into the tube in the manifold. Then just twist the remains out.  I have used copper tubing in the past with good results & easy to bend/form. Go to the corvette restorers for the insulation on the heat tube. I forgot which one has the correct insulation. I'm sure someone on here knows.

Tom T.

• Like 1

Thank you very much sir! and to the other's for the imput. I'm a little leary of trying to take off the exhaust manifold it's never been off, has the locking tabs on them still and have california rust on them lol I can see a bolt snapping off in the head . I might try a 90 degree drill bit in the size you said and see If I can get the rest of the broken tube out of there. 

12 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

For replacement tube, try Inline Tube or Classic Tube.  One of them have it, I just forget which one I got mine from at the moment.

There are two tubes.  One to the choke housing and the other to the vacuum side of the carb.  I took the manifold off mine and very carefully drilled out the broken ends.  Emphasis on very carefullly.  

Choke works properly now.  

The tube coming from the carb is not a vacuum line.  It comes off the top of the carb at the the air horn and is a filtered fresh air supply line.  There is a slight vacuum coming from the choke housing line.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1